No announcement yet.
X

how many litres of paint to do my 98 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I've never heard of "mid clear" as opposed to "top clear". But then, I didn't spend THAT much time in the back with the painters. But from talking with them, they definitely said that the flake goes in the clear, and then a whole bunch more clear goes on after that, to bury them. As a matter of fact, I don't even know HOW the flake gets in the clear..... the jumbo flakes they used to use didn't look like they'd come out of a spray gun too well.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Special tips are needed for the flake. The jumbo flake is huge. Then you have the option of laying the flake dry (just spray the flake) or wet (mix it with the clear and then spray them together). Supposed to be a real ***** to get the flake to lay properly if you spray it dry.
      97 GSX600F
      76 CB750F
      71 CB175

Comment

I don't see why anyone would want to go with flake this day an age when the wide range of pearls are available. pearls can go right into the base. you can even add a coat of pearl mixed with the 1st coat of clear as well....then a couple of coats of clear on top of that.

much easier to work with than flake, and much better looking, imho.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Pearl has it's place but does NOT give the effect flake gives. Two different animals. All depends on the look you're going for.
          97 GSX600F
          76 CB750F
          71 CB175

Comment

well thanks guys alot of help there its only two weeks before i get the paint and start on the bike, so i'll let you all now how i get on.

Comment

You can infact mix flake in with your top coat before the clear and that gives it a really nice blended look, and allows for you to just lay on the clear, rather then a mid clear, but it's all personal preference. We love to play in the paint room once we get a car or bike in that wants to get something custom.

I agree that pearl winds up allowing you to do some nice and intricate things with your paint designs(i.e. Ghost flames, ghost designs). But they are two different things, see if you can't go to a paint shop or auto body and ask them to show you some flake and some pearl, stick it on your hand and go in the light and you'll see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by starion88esir View Post
                Pearl has it's place but does NOT give the effect flake gives. Two different animals. All depends on the look you're going for.
                this is true....

but if you look at some of the nice pearls in some of todays car colors, they beat flake by a long shot.

personally, I think flake is a little tacky. not to mention the fact that if you scrape a section of the fairing or tank, it's a bigger PITA to fix. you can't just blend like you would with pearls.

buy hey....each his own. it's just that when I hear "flake", I think 70's.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

You should think 60's. It was the thing to do for 60's customs. I'll be flaking and lacing the roof and dash of my 64 Valiant to get that bellflower look.

Pearls sure can be pretty though. Just need to avoid the rainbow pearls. Those are disgusting. But it all beats the chamelion paint.
                  97 GSX600F
                  76 CB750F
                  71 CB175

Comment

Agreed, if you wind up having to repair a fairing, or fix a piece of your parts, flake will never blend correctly. Guaranteed!

Comment

thats why you always keep it up right

Comment

Working...
                      X