Cleaning Helmets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Helmets

Got a dirty helmet? Lost its lustre?

I've got an HJC CL-SP Type-O helmet. Its got a matte white finish to it.
    I was always dredding having to clean it, because it was such a pain.
    You can't just wipe it off, the matte finish really sticks old baked on hand prints and what not. Bug guts were always a pain too.

I was getting annoyed with my helmet looking dirty, so I broke down and decided to clean it. was going to try using a little dawn and a wash rag, to see how that turned out. But I was short a wash rag.
    I noticed one of those magic eraser things sitting on the kitchen sink from the last time I cleaned the walls with it. And it worked really well.
    Tried using it on my helmet.
    I was thoroughly amazed!

I did half of it, so I could compare the untouched side with the cleaned side.
    I forgot how white the finish really was!
    Guts came off really really easy too.
    HJC says you're supposed to use their helmet cleaning stuff so you don't make the matte finish shiny.
    Well it isn't shiny at all.
    Didn't hurt any of the decals, or the finish
    looks brand new!

It was so easy I cleaned my helmet, both visors and my GFs helmet and visor too
    Only 1 problem, you have to hold the helmet so gravity doesn't make the water run into the vents lol
    That's it.

I'm so impressed I had to tell everyone how great it is.
    If you just can't get your lid clean, try it.
    You can get generic ones if you don't feel like shelling out the cash for the name brand ones. Either way, its so worth it.

Thanks for the tip! I have the same helmet in matte black and i have been wanting to clean it lately. Lots of guts and fingerprints starting to build up.
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Originally posted by jdumont View Post
      Thanks for the tip! I have the same helmet in matte black and i have been wanting to clean it lately. Lots of guts and fingerprints starting to build up.
      I'm sure the difference won't be nearly as dramatic with a darker colored lid. but seriously, who cares if its so much easier to clean?
      Give it a shot, let us know how it works out for you

Comment

Plastex for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post
          Plastex for the win.
          How well does that work on paint?

Comment

Working...
          X