X

Replaced Dashlights with LEDs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced Dashlights with LEDs

This is a post that is more of a follow up to Sweetlou's post on his LED dash problem.

I bought Automotive Instrument LEDs #74 from superbrightleds.com. I bought the ones that have the socket installed already. For this project i bought more than i needed because i did not kwo how many i needed. For all of you who might do this mod you will need 4 LEDs to replace the backlights in the panel. There are more Lights with black sockets but the LEDs with the sockets i could not get to fit. Anyways here is what i did and how i did it. No pics because it is just that darn easy.

The first thing i did (other than order some LEDs) was to remove the windscreen. Then i took the mirrors off, took the passing light off, the bolts on the bottom of the front fairing. I then loosened up the upper portions of the fairings. this would be easier to do if the fairing are off but that is not necessary.

I then removed the two screws holding the instrument cluster to the front of the bike. Then removed the four "push bolts" from the instrument suround. Once this is done the whole thing can be removed. If you are going to do the illumiglow guages i would wait for those to come in before you put the LEDs in as you will not have to do this twice.

Now that you have the cluster and surround off you can take the cluster out of the surround. This is done by removing the three nuts of the back of the cluster.

Now you get to remove the ton of screws out of the back of the instrument cluster to remove the back to get to the lights.

Once this is done you can lift the back off. On the cluster there are two types of bulbs black socket bulbs and blue socket bulbs. we will be removing the blue socket ones.

I recommend removing a bulb replaing it and then plug it in to check to se if you have the polarity right. If it lights you are good to go if not you have to reverse the connection. Once you have that done you can button up the bike and you are ready to go. I went with yellow cause i like subtle changes. They are as bright as the stock bulbs but just a different color.

Now get your LEDs and start modding.

Pics to come of the look with the LEDs in.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

.... i had to buddy

Comment

3 things.

You don't need to take the back casing off, there are rubber grommets that allow you to reach in and pull the bulb holders out, at least on mine. Mine also had 3 bolts holding my dash in (mine is a 99, maybe they changed with the newer ones)

Do the #74 automotive bulbs fit into those bases then?

And if so, and if you are not going to use those other 4, could I purchase them from you? I want to mount my blue LED's, but I need those bases.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
        3 things.

You don't need to take the back casing off, there are rubber grommets that allow you to reach in and pull the bulb holders out, at least on mine. Mine also had 3 bolts holding my dash in (mine is a 99, maybe they changed with the newer ones)

Do the #74 automotive bulbs fit into those bases then?

And if so, and if you are not going to use those other 4, could I purchase them from you? I want to mount my blue LED's, but I need those bases.
        On my 04 there is not a way to get at the bulbs except to take off the back of the instrument cluster. there are three bolts holding the dash in the surround but to take the surround and such off to get at the cluster you have to take off two screws and four of the push clips. I would assume that the #74 bulbs fit in the bases as they look exactly like the ones that you took a pic of in the other thread. It would be cheaper to buy new ones that it would be to purchase these and ship them. At least i would think so.

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I ordered LED bulbs, I think the same ones and couldn't get hardly any of them to work. I ended up just going back with stock. I also found that they did not fit nearly as good as the stock bulbs. They would not snap into the holder. I ordered the bulbs without the base as suggested by other members. POS if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by DINGBAT
            I ordered LED bulbs, I think the same ones and couldn't get hardly any of them to work. I ended up just going back with stock. I also found that they did not fit nearly as good as the stock bulbs. They would not snap into the holder. I ordered the bulbs without the base as suggested by other members. POS if you ask me.
            Same here, I guess you need the ones with the base, and they only fit the blue based factory ones. The blacked based ones (marked Toshiba) are smaller than the blue ones, and you can not fit the aftermarket ones into the opening for the black based ones.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Did you turn them around when they didn't work? (since LEDs require correct polarity). I did this same mod using the same LEDs from the same people with no problems. Makes the cluster lights much more intense and big reduction in power draw.
              Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Originally posted by BeekMan
                Did you turn them around when they didn't work? (since LEDs require correct polarity). I did this same mod using the same LEDs from the same people with no problems. Makes the cluster lights much more intense and big reduction in power draw.
                I think I did, but I'm not sure. I'll check again this weekend. Beek, did you replace yorus with the #74 automotive bulb from SuperBrightLEDS.com? And did you replace both the blue based and black based lights on your dash?
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

yeah you have to get the bases... and polarity does make a difference.. i had to switch half of them around to get them to work because they were not on the right circuit to light up.

Comment

Beek, did you replace yorus with the #74 automotive bulb from SuperBrightLEDS.com? And did you replace both the blue based and black based lights on your dash?
                    Yes, yes and yes. I used the stock bases.
                    Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Same here, I guess you need the ones with the base, and they only fit the blue based factory ones. The blacked based ones (marked Toshiba) are smaller than the blue ones, and you can not fit the aftermarket ones into the opening for the black based ones.
                      Did you end up going back with stock bulbs then? I have an '01 750 and those LEDs just don't fit.

Comment

I know i only chagnes the guage back lighting the turn signals and such i stuck with stock bulbs. (black base ones)

Comment

Z, great write up.

Does anyone know how to replace their bulbs on the Pre? I need to replace the high beam indication bulb.

Comment

Yeah , I was thinking about how hard it might be to replace the warning lights . They're pretty hard to see in the daytime . Just as easy ?
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
                              I know i only chagnes the guage back lighting the turn signals and such i stuck with stock bulbs. (black base ones)
                              I ended up only using I think one of the LEDs, the red one fit and worked for the oil warning light. When I take things back apart to install my LED lighting under the bike, I'll switch the blue based bulbs to LEDs.

Comment

Working...
                              X