X

DO you need too??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO you need too??

I am gonna be painting my tail hugger i got and im gonna get the colorRite paint for my bike and base coat as well. But what i was wondering is do i need the "colorRite clear coat" or can i use anything(not cheap stuff but just something from out paint suplier here) same thing with primer, does it need to be "colorRite"
    thats all i am wondering thanks

Manufacturers will suggest you use their products, but NO, you do not have to use Color Rite's clears & primers.

That is a big beef among paint companies cause the paint companies invest in the research of reproducing paint colors, paint chips, software programs, etc. for all manufacturers paint codes and they need to re-coup their money somehow (hence more expensive primers, clears, thinners & cleaners) Then Mister generic comes along, sells only primers & clears, having no investment in color, scooping all the profits. Problem is, SOME of the paint companies sell their clears & primers to the Mister Generic in the first place in large drums (which is then packaged as mr. generic) and hence is the cause of the problem.

Whatever, bottom line, you can use a generic, just as long as its decent. Are u using a paint gun (hvlp or rp) or spray balm?

Comment

Originally posted by chelle333 View Post
      Manufacturers will suggest you use their products, but NO, you do not have to use Color Rite's clears & primers.

That is a big beef among paint companies cause the paint companies invest in the research of reproducing paint colors, paint chips, software programs, etc. for all manufacturers paint codes and they need to re-coup their money somehow (hence more expensive primers, clears, thinners & cleaners) Then Mister generic comes along, sells only primers & clears, having no investment in color, scooping all the profits. Problem is, SOME of the paint companies sell their clears & primers to the Mister Generic in the first place in large drums (which is then packaged as mr. generic) and hence is the cause of the problem.

Whatever, bottom line, you can use a generic, just as long as its decent. Are u using a paint gun (hvlp or rp) or spray balm?

no im just gonna rattle can it, im not bad with them and its pretty hidden so im not to worried.

Comment

Originally posted by chelle333 View Post

I do not want to be an arse here, but your information is "dangerous".
        NOT ALL primers and clear coats are the same. their chemical properties are ...or can be....very different from each other. bottom line...it's a gamble to mix and match different brands. when you experience a "reaction", you will know what I am talking about. sometimes saving a few bucks can cost you many hours of "rework".
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
          I do not want to be an arse here, but your information is "dangerous".
          NOT ALL primers and clear coats are the same. their chemical properties are ...or can be....very different from each other. bottom line...it's a gamble to mix and match different brands. when you experience a "reaction", you will know what I am talking about. sometimes saving a few bucks can cost you many hours of "rework".
          that's why test panels are important.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
          X