Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Need some advice and opinions...seat reupolstery...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe its me not understanding how the paint works but does it penitrate the vinyl? I would think that it would rub off after a while and then you would end up with discolored pants.. ...but seriously is it more of a stain or a top layer of paint?
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
      Maybe its me not understanding how the paint works but does it penitrate the vinyl? I would think that it would rub off after a while and then you would end up with discolored pants.. ...but seriously is it more of a stain or a top layer of paint?
      My best *guess* would be that it is a quick-dry thin layer of polychloride vinyl itself with a chemical bonding agent designed to effectively bond or chemically melt it down permanently to the existing vinyl. In that sense, I don't think it would qualify as a dye at all, and it wouldn't really be a paint either -- although it would be closer to being a paint than a dye. The reason I think that it's a PC-vinyl is the fact that they offer lighter shades (you can take seats from black to white).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
        Originally posted by Cyber
        Call John at Corbin's Hollister, CA facility (800 538 7035, x228) and ask him how much they would charge you to recover it.
        I did call last summer. I don't remember who I spoke with, but between shipping fees and the $45/hr plus material it was going to cost me something $150 to have it recovered by them.
        that isnt that far off to have a seat recovered. I had my yamaha seat redone, in basic black, and new foam.. costs me 90.00 ..and that was just stock recover.. nothing fancy.

Comment

A Corbin recover would be well worth it. The cover on my Corbin seat is the best I have ever seen, and the seat itself is by far more comfortable than the stock or a gel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
            A Corbin recover would be well worth it. The cover on my Corbin seat is the best I have ever seen, and the seat itself is by far more comfortable than the stock or a gel.
            At least if they don't offer your seat stock anymore -- I know the 98+ saddle is like $219 new in basic black leather panels with vinyl welting (welts are the rolled seam covers at the edges). For $219 I'd probably sell the old one on eBay and order a new one if the old one needed to be recovered and I was looking at $150 to recover it...

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wonder if you can get the backrest separate after recovering your seat, corbin style ?

Comment

You can only get the backrest WITH a Corbin seat. And yes you can order it seperate later on if you want it.

Comment

You can only get the backrest WITH a Corbin seat. And yes you can order it seperate later on if you want it.
                  No, you can order the back-rest separately; it doesn't have to be ordered at the same time. But it will not fit any seat except the corbin because it requires the sturdier seat pan design that the corbin's use (won't work with the stock OEM seat-pan). I've got one of their seat-backs for the rear and my other half isn't particularly impressed by it, so it sits unused on the shelf most of the time.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    No, you can order the back-rest separately; it doesn't have to be ordered at the same time. But it will not fit any seat except the corbin because it requires the seat pan design that the corbin's use (won't work with the stock seat-pan).
                    Yeah that what I meant.

Comment

then you have not seen the travelcade. Their leather is some of the best I have ever seen. The padding also. The Corbin has a little bit more of a sleeker design, but other than that, I prefer the travelcade.

Originally posted by Cyber
                      I've got one of their seat-backs for the rear and my other half isn't particularly impressed by it, so it sits unused on the shelf most of the time.
                      I have the backrest for mine, and most I ask seem to really like it. Maybe it is cuz the 1100 is more of an "upright" riding position and it makes it possible for them to sit up more like you would on a cruiser. I know I like it cuz for some reason the passenger feels more secure, which in turn means they are not leaning and hanging onto me as much. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that most times I have to stand up and push myself ahead to let a passenger on because they can't just swing their leg over like usual because of the backrest being in the way.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                      X