No announcement yet.
X

Darkened Headlight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GREAT tell us how it some out and pics or before and after would be great.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

you can just use a heat gun or a hair dryer to warm up the sealant that holds the lights together so you dont have to put htem im the oven and potentially damage them.ive done this many times on lil rice cars.just heat them for a lil whil(10 - 20 minutes)then pull them apart.clean all the glue off with a scraper or screwdriver and when your done make sure you use some good silicone to reseal them to keep out dust and moisture

Comment

I just wanted to update those looking that everything went well this weekend and I will get some pictures up as soon as possible (tonight/tomorrow), as well as some helpful pointers. Thanks again to those of you that helped.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

So here are the finished pictures. I can't find a good before picture, so you will have to check the one picture that remains in my 'garage'. I am very happy with the way it turned out. I plan on writing some instructions for others that want to give it a try. Probably take a couple of weeks as work has me pretty busy right now. Until then just post your questions and I will do my best to answer. Thanks again to those of you that helped.

Edit - before picture added (#3)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cheriff; 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

WOW, good job. You have any downfalls or opps
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014
            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
              WOW, good job. You have any downfalls or opps
              It actually went really really smooth. Not counting the time to get the headlight out and put back in, it only took about 2/2.5 hours to complete. That even includes the hour it took for the paint to dry.

The only scare was when I opened up the oven to make sure my headlight wasn't a molten pile of goo, only to be greeted with a plume of smoke. As it turned out, the oven I was using had some plastic stuff at the bottom which couldn't handle the higher temp I set the oven to. I just switched ovens and tried again. Scared the crap out of me though.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Why on earth would you want to make your bike LESS visible?

Comment

Originally posted by KatScratchFever View Post
                  If you notice thats what the newer bikes have... darken towards the front. And trust me mine is bright
                  sigpic
                  Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Originally posted by KatScratchFever View Post

I essentially have an '03 thru '06 headlight now. I would have to ask Suzuki that question.
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                      I essentially have an '03 thru '06 headlight now. I would have to ask Suzuki that question.
                      But I guess the real question is did you see a difference in lighting.
                      sigpic
                      Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

The light pattern it puts on the wall in the garage looks very similar. In case it isn't as bright I make more of an effort to drive with the high-beam on. Is it any duller? - probably to some extent. Does it make it more dangerous? -If any decrease in output makes it more dangerous then yes. However I still think it is very bright. Especially since it still uses two bulbs compared to most bikes with only one. I don't feel I put myself in danger by doing this.
                        -2000 "750"

Comment

Well if the newer Kat's have it I can't see it being much of a difference eh?

I'd like to know what you used for paint,Krylon?Flat black or gloss black?
                          2000 Kat 600
                          2001 Dodge Dakota 287
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by sportn1200
                          As my Moma always said that is why they make chocolate and vanillia peoples taste are different.

Comment

I think it was a matte finish, but I will check the can tonight and give up all the info.
                            -2000 "750"

Comment

I used a Krylon Satin black. It was from their "Fusion" line intended for plastics. It says "no-prep necessary" and dries in 15 minutes. Since the inside of the headlight was very clean (since it was sealed) I didn't feel the need to clean it any further. So far that decision hasn't come back to bite me.
                              -2000 "750"

Comment

Thanks Cheriff.

I have a red Kat and I'm going with a red/black theme and I think this would look nice with the dark smoke windscreen and black mirrors above the light.
                                2000 Kat 600
                                2001 Dodge Dakota 287
                                sigpic
                                Originally posted by sportn1200
                                As my Moma always said that is why they make chocolate and vanillia peoples taste are different.

Comment

Working...
                                X