X

Darkened Headlight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkened Headlight

I am curious how some people on here have tinted the inside of their headlight. I am not speaking of tinting or covering the actual lens, but darkened inside the headlight. Looking inside, it appears to be made of two pieces. It seems like you should be able to paint the front section, leaving the curved part right by the bulb shiny. Is this possible? If anyone has done this, how much of an impact is their on headlight brightness? Minimal enough that some silverstars could make up for? Thanks

A good example would be the look of Rok_Star_Bars. (I have a PM in to him but I an anxious to learn as soon as I can)
    Last edited by Cheriff; 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM.
    -2000 "750"

according to rock_stars garage he has a headlight cover... maybe tinted giving the impression of the inside being dark. as far as painting or tinting the inside. on cars i've seen headlights baked apart and housings painted or tinted to give the effect you speak of.

here is a write up for the same idea done on a miata.. for all i know though kat headlights may not be sealed up like this but they probably are. and what ive used to give a dark chrome look before is duplicolor smoke metalcast paint like a gray kandy coat almost. ive thought about doing this mod before but never have the energy to really attempt it.
    Last edited by seabass10369; 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Yea, thats pretty much what I am looking for. If I look at his pictures from the link in his signature, the head on view looks like there is no tint but the side views it looks dark. With a black bike I think it would look pretty nice. Just don't want to put myself in danger by cutting light output. Also don't want to buy a new light assembly should it not go well.

Seabass- If you ever get out to state college area, I just went on a ride this weekend to a place called Renovo. 30+ miles of twists and turns through a state forest. Amazing ride.
      -2000 "750"

Comment

i'll keep that in mind next time i'm there unfortunately probably wont be till football season so i'll have to wait a little bit.
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry nothing done to my headlight. I have covers over the bulbs itself to make it look yellow with low and blue with high. It the angle sorry.
          sigpic
          Update Jul 11 2014
          Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

I guess I can try to do what I was thinking with eletrical tape first to see what it looks like.

Rok- so the piece of plastic that separates the two sides of the headlight (behind the clear lens)is just as shiny as it is back by the bulbs?

If you look at my garage picture you can see how much shinier my headlight assembly is.
            Last edited by Cheriff; 05-27-2008, 06:17 AM.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

the later year Kats have black between the headlight reflector and the glass. I have the black on mine as well (instead of chrome).
              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Interesting.... You wouldn't happen to have a picture showing what is black and what is chrome would you

I am also going to paint on the outside of the headlight to make it appear like two separate lights. Basically just connecting the third eye plastic to the similar piece on the bottom side. The paint would only go in between lights were no light is actually able to come through. Right now I have it on temporary with the electrical tape to see if I like it. Looks pretty good. I hope to paint it this week, so pictures in a few days.
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Anyone with an '03+ have time to take a close picture of their headlight assembly so I can see how they have made them darker? Please
                  -2000 "750"

Comment

I will take some shots when it quit raining.
                    sigpic
                    Update Jul 11 2014
                    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

saw this in another post its close enough to get an idea of what is changed
                      plus for pink its nice bike
                      sigpic

Comment

It has some bug print from riding today. I got soaked come home today but I hope this help. Pretty bad refle. comeing off the headlights when can see me pretty well

Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Thanks guys. I took the headlight off last night and there are two pieces that look they are snapped together. From the pictures above it looks like it is just the front piece that is painted black.

The problem is it seems like it would take a small miracle to separate the two pieces. I will read those Miata instructions again and see if there was a step that involved putting the assembly in the oven to weaken the strength of the sealant that looks like is put around the whole seam.

Yep. Looks like the oven is needed. Might have to do this one when the wife isn't home
                          Last edited by Cheriff; 05-29-2008, 06:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          -2000 "750"

Comment

let us know how it works out for ya, or if you burn down your kitchen!
                            sigpic

Comment

I just realized that I have ovens at work that are always used for other tasks and never for food. That will save me from getting "in trouble" once. Now as long as I don't break the light assembly I will be home free and the wife will never know.
                              -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                              X