Need a painter... willing to ship!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a painter... willing to ship!

Hi Everyone,

I need someone to paint a part... with a catch!

I have tried multiple people in my local area and NOBODY can seem to match my 2001 stock blue Katana!!!! They come damn close and I have even purchased the paint from ColoRite with no difference! The match is close... but you can definetly see the two different colors!!! Does anyone know of somebody they can put me in touch with that I can ship just a cowl to for now (has been painted already, so it is smooth and ready to go) and have them match the color so close that I cannot see the difference!?

Thank you for your help!!!

The best way to get this done is to go to an auto body retail store and have them scan the original color off the bike. Almost all DuPont retailers can do this for you. One thing that may be affecting the outcome of your shade is what kind of primer/sealer is being used. If the wrong shade of primer/sealer is being used, the color can turn out the wrong shade as well. DuPont uses a valueshade system to prevent this from happening.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Many of the blues require a specific primer or primers to be laid down first to get the effect.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I think the reason it's not matching is due to the sun fade on the original color. You can match all you want to the factory paint, but the new part won't match because the old has faded.
        1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

I agree with the scan and also might be a specific ground coat color under the blue first. I know harley paints most everything black or silver first then puts the color on top of that whether it be a candy or what. As for faded paint. The best way would be to take the tail section in as well and have them blend out the color used on the cowl. that way its not as noticeable. Or is your tail white and your doing the cowl blue? it must be pretty noticeable then to not even have it side by side to the original blue. Im just rambling so hopefully you get something out of this.
          Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
          www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

question-why not just repaint it all instead of just a section?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
              question-why not just repaint it all instead of just a section?
              Probably cuz it costs more.
              www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie View Post
                I think the reason it's not matching is due to the sun fade on the original color. You can match all you want to the factory paint, but the new part won't match because the old has faded.
                Probably a big factor in it not matching.

Save the money you'd spend on repainting, and head to a tanning bed. instead of the wierd looking goggles just put the entire cowl over you face and have a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                  Probably a big factor in it not matching.

Save the money you'd spend on repainting, and head to a tanning bed. instead of the wierd looking goggles just put the entire cowl over you face and have a go.
                  now thats funny.
                  www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

so you'd rather ship it out to paint a section then just paint the entire thing? Doesn't make sense to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Erki View Post
                      Probably cuz it costs more.
                      Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                      so you'd rather ship it out to paint a section then just paint the entire thing? Doesn't make sense to me...
                      everyone does not have a money tree in their backyard a whole paint job is not cheap so it does make sense if you do not have the money for a complete paint job to try to match the cowl to the paint of the bike
                      Last edited by JBLUE; 05-19-2008, 01:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Lots of good stuff here, however I could swear that someone recommended somebody else here specifically for the blue and the match was really good and they did the shipping thing...

I just have two smaller parts to do and the rest of my bike is mint (no fade either) so I do not want to paint the whole thing for sure!

Comment

I don't know a single painter worth his salt that would take that on. It's a setup for failure on his part, and disapointment on yours. Not saying you are intentionally setting him up, just that the results are bound to not be up to expectations.
                          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

That is interesting thought StevieB... perhaps I should be asking for someone who can match the stock blue??? I have seen other blue bikes on here with a cowl and I can't believe everyone just repainted the whole bike...

Comment

Originally posted by Cracken View Post
                              That is interesting thought StevieB... perhaps I should be asking for someone who can match the stock blue??? I have seen other blue bikes on here with a cowl and I can't believe everyone just repainted the whole bike...
                              I don't think they painted the whole bikes either, but I bet they don't match perfectly. order yourself some paint from colorrite and paint the cowl

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X