X

spray-painted bike pics?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghost
    I would agree with you gf, save your money up and wait until you can buy the paint...

I disagree,
    Yeah save your money and buy a 500-700 paint job, ONLY to be Pissed if it falls, you drop it, someone bumps it, etc etc...... I wouldnt spend that, cause if mine gets scratched, falls ove, or I lowside, I just pull it off and fix it then rattle can it again.....Its happened twice now for me. And boy was I glad I didnt pay 500 bucks for a paint job!!!

My flat black, ratlle can painted bike is in my profile!!!

Just my .02$
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
      I would agree with you gf, save your money up and wait until you can buy the paint...

I disagree,
      Yeah save your money and buy a 500-700 paint job, ONLY to be Pissed if it falls, you drop it, someone bumps it, etc etc...... I wouldnt spend that, cause if mine gets scratched, falls ove, or I lowside, I just pull it off and fix it then rattle can it again.....Its happened twice now for me. And boy was I glad I didnt pay 500 bucks for a paint job!!!

Just my .02$
      I agree with that wisdom..

Comment

I went to NAPA and priced a leter of Dupont paint and the price was $30.00 cdn plus tax of course. but that also means that you need an air compressor and spray gun. But that is what friends are for.

Comment

i think this might be the same bike i posted...found on jims other website

Hello World.

Comment

I disagree,

Just my .02$
            Are you useing flat black paint or just primer? if it is paint how does it do if you get some fuel on it? I ended up doing the ninja in black primer and I am worried that it will lift the paint.
            PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
            The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

It's mostly in the prep work. A good paint job won't hide crappy prep work, in fact, paint hides nothing.

I think it's doable and I've seen some damn fine paint jobs laid down by rattle cans.
              Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow

I disagree,

Just my .02$
                Are you useing flat black paint or just primer? if it is paint how does it do if you get some fuel on it? I ended up doing the ninja in black primer and I am worried that it will lift the paint.

I used flat Paint. What I did was put about 2 extra coats on the tank (than the rest of the bike) and applied it alittle heavier around the gas cap, without building it up. Gas hasnt eat through it yet!!!
                Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

heres another one for ya! just finished it recently.

this last one can make you a believer (you'll be surprised with the difference!) this pix should convince you

PAUL
                  93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

is that your bike?? WOW!

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Yessssss, a chance to put up new pics of my recently finished paint. I say go for it, it's ALL about the prep. Small pieces that I painted came out awesome, but you can tell that I slacked on the prep with the larger ones like the side fairings. I'd call it "prep-time per square inch". It was easy to get impatient with the larger ones. Overall it came out great, but I can tell a difference. I used filler-primer, gloss black, then crystal clear, all Dupli-color. That fan-spray nozzle really helps. The job consumed 2 cans of filler primer, 3 1/2 cans of black, and 2 of clear, along with the various grit sandpaper. You may use a little more because my tank went down a completely different path. Here's some pics that will hopefully encourage you. I'm still working on getting a good side picture, that black really hides contours. BTW, there's many cosmetic aspects I'm still trying to bring up to par such as the forks and swingarm.
                      Attached Files
                      '01 TL1000R

Comment

my mind's made up, i'm gonna have to go the canned spray paint route. those are very nice examples of what can be achieved, thanks ya'll! i talked to my bro today, and he said he'd help, but he didn't think you could really wet sand canned spray paint. since i don't have a job anymore, i should have plenty of time for prep-work

"Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

yes you can wet sand, just make sure you give it enough time to dry up(2 hrs. under the sun or 4 hrs. inside the garage) atleast thats what i did. somebody else might have a different opinion/method on when to wet sand, but you decide. if you got questions about what grade sand paper to get or anything else, i'd be glad to help you out. just pm me and i'll get back to you Good Luck!
                          PAUL
                          93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Words of warning:

You're in SC. If the humidity is up, you'll get poor results -- watch out for the spray coming out of the spray can causing water to condense out of the air (I ran into this problem last June respraying my Givi bags).

You can find color-matched OEM paint at ColorRite.com for most years, as well as matching fuel-/oil-/sun-resistant clearcoats to go with it.

If you want a foolproof (but weird looking plan) consider using a bedliner coating (someone around here must have pics of it... it's been done before). I wouldn't, but hey, that's me...

Finally, know this:
                            If you do the prep work and then take the parts to a paint place, you should be able to get them sprayed and baked with the same color as a car that's already slotted to go through very cheaply (under $150 -- just under $100 if you toss in a case of cold beers usually) with good results. If you're flexible about the time frames and pick a common color that they spray (like black), you'll get them back fairly quickly.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the info cyber! i was concerned about the gas resistant clearcoats, if they made them or not in a can. i'll keep the humidity in mind too, thanks man! if only a case of beer would lower the price (these guys would want something green in a baggie lol)

Comment

I painted my bike my buddy paid 1700 for his paint when we ride together I get more compliments on my paint. But it still ran me about 300. And lots of sanding and clear coating

Comment

Working...
                                X