X

Glassing Method

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glassing Method

OK I've seen some crazy methods on here for making cowls and whatever else out of fiberglass. The trick is to put something over the area you're trying to mold over (like your saddle) so resin doesn't get all over it. I've seen plastic wrap, aluminum foil and all sorts of other ideas. I needed a method like this so I did a little research and found this website.

http://www.jeffreyphipps.com/seat_pans.htm

Crazy as it sounds this method 100% works as advertised. For all of you toying with the idea of making your own solo cowl or whatever else out of fiberglass that needs to be perfectly fitted to something, use this method and you'll be good as gold. Also, the page suggests mold release wax. I used Minwax Hardwood Floor Wax because that's what they had handy at the Home Depot. It worked great. Thought it was great information and hope somebody finds use for this.

Joe
    If it ain't zip tied, it ain't modified.

sigpic

This thread is worthless without pics or a tutorial or at leat more in depth information of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post
      This thread is worthless without pics or a tutorial or at leat more in depth information of some kind.
      If you go to the website, that's exactly what it is, a how to with pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post
        Didn't see any point in reinventing the wheel or taking credit for someone else's idea. That's why I linked it. Follow the link and scroll down. You'll find step-by-step instructions and pics to boot. And before anyone gets any funny ideas, no I'm not affiliated with this company, nor do I advocate using them. I'm not for my project because I'm cheap . Just found the information useful and thought others might as well.

Joe
        If it ain't zip tied, it ain't modified.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X