X

taking apart exhaust can.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking apart exhaust can.

whats the best way to "undo" the rivets that hold an exhaust together? do you drill them then replace the rivets? thans for the help. if you drill them how do you go about doing that.
    -tonmarchelli

ah i hate rivits, had to do about 15 of thoes today in school, well first depending on the size of the rivits you wanna drill out the middle, take a rill bit that is just a lil bit bigger the nthe lil dimple in the middle of the rivit and DRILL lol ill come out, the get your rivit gun and rivit it back in to place after

Comment

Yup , drill and replace . SOME pipes (my Yosh)have screws , though ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Screws are a good solution md86..
        The only pain in drilling out rivets is that they can start spinning on the drill bit.

Generally a 1/8 drill bit will work. If you use a 1/8th you can tap the holes 8-32. I could hook you up with 8-32 stainless buttonheads, let me check my stock..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Screws are a good solution md86..
          The only pain in drilling out rivets is that they can start spinning on the drill bit.

Generally a 1/8 drill bit will work. If you use a 1/8th you can tap the holes 8-32. I could hook you up with 8-32 stainless buttonheads, let me check my stock..
          and these buttonheads will allow me to screw the can together instead of rivets? i dont quite understand what you mean.
          -tonmarchelli

Comment

Usually rivets are 1/8 in diam.
            If the can rivet holes are 1/8 then you
            can tap the end cap for an 8-32 screw.
            (you use a .136" drill for that, 1/8 = .125")
            Then replace the rivets with buton head screws.
            Buttonheads will look like rivets only better!
            Then as md86 said if you need to open the can again you take out the screws. No more messing about with rivets.

Comment

Working...
            X