X

whats the best way to change grips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best way to change grips?

i just got a new set of Spider grips from 2wheeltours but before i install them i want to know the best way to do it. any help would be great. thanks.
    -tonmarchelli

Taking off grips is quite easy. just take off the bar ends..which can be be a royal pain in the arse, since they are generally put on w/ locktight, if they are stock.. then just slide them off. Depending on how long your current grips have been on, you may need to loosen them a bit by take a flat head screwdriver and pushing it thru the open end of the grip, and moving it around the inside just to break the seal. Becareful not to poke and tear ur current grips in case you want to use them again. Then just slide the new grips on... alittle hairspray or hair gel works wonders for installing them, and makes the job go ALOT easier, IMO. The throttle grip is alittle more tricky only because you have to work the grip on, over the throttle, but its not hard, just take your time and work it slowly.

Piece of cake

Comment

cool, thanks.
      -tonmarchelli

Comment

I was thinking of asking the same thing , as I recently got some grips myself .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

remove the old ones w/ a razor blade - install new ones with hair spray
          I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

real easy to do. I had to cut the lip off the throttle to make em slide all the way up.
            rock
            always working on mods

Comment

Got a compressor? Shoot some air in there right where the grip meets the bar and pull a little as you do it. The old grip will puff up and ride on the air and slide right off, reverse to install. No muss, no fuss and no wife complaining about you using her hairspray in the garage
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by rockadaous
                real easy to do. I had to cut the lip off the throttle to make em slide all the way up.
                is that the only way to get grip all the way up the throttle?
                -tonmarchelli

Comment

I would also use grip glue. It makes sure they stay in place. You can get at your local stealer.

Comment

Originally posted by tonmarchelli
                    Originally posted by rockadaous
                    is that the only way to get grip all the way up the throttle?
                    I didn't have to cut anything off the throttle to get mine on . Had to cut out the ends of the grips , though . Just pulled them off , and wrestled the new ones on (THAT was kinda tough) . Clean the gunk that MAY be on the bare bar before sliding the new ones on , though . Looks like MY old ones had rubber cement under 'em .

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
                      Got a compressor? Shoot some air in there right where the grip meets the bar and pull a little as you do it. The old grip will puff up and ride on the air and slide right off, reverse to install. No muss, no fuss and no wife complaining about you using her hairspray in the garage
                      My wife has so much hair spray and gel she gave me a whole new tube of it just for that I was like, i only need a finger tip amount!!!

be sure to clean that gunk off your bar when you take off the old grip, so ur new grip has a fresh surface to adhere too

Comment

Just cut the old ones off and save yourself a big head ache.
                        I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

I didn't have any trouble just PULLING my old ones off once the bar ends were out of the way . Okay , it wasn't CAKE , but it wasn't all that hard , either .

Comment

The best way to change grips is to buy a whole new bike around them...

=-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X