X

Bent Frame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Frame?

As some of you may remember I wrecked my bike on March 28th. My shop estimated the the damage to be $2500, but they failed to notice the bent frame supporting the tail section. I measured the Main frame to the swingarm ends and to the forks and the mechanical portion of the frame is straight. I intend to straighten the tail support, but I want your opinions.

Here is a picture of the frame and the point of impact.
    Attached Files

if the frame is bent, IMO it's done, over. Now you can straighten a steel frame a whole lot easier then an aluminum frame, but still, I wouldn't trust it.

Comment

sketchy...
      1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

I assume that you are talking about the the sub frame section that supports the seat. The main frame being the frame that holds the engine, swing arm, and forks is straight. If that is the case I would say go ahead and try to straighten it out. It is not a critical component in terms of how the bike will ride. You may want to consider buying a used sub frame. One thing that worries me is that if the frame is that obviously bent and the shop missed it what else did they miss.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
          I assume that you are talking about the the sub frame section that supports the seat. The main frame being the frame that holds the engine, swing arm, and forks is straight. If that is the case I would say go ahead and try to straighten it out. It is not a critical component in terms of how the bike will ride. You may want to consider buying a used sub frame. One thing that worries me is that if the frame is that obviously bent and the shop missed it what else did they miss.
          The seat support is all that is bent.

Comment

id just have it totaled man. Insurance will buy you a new one

Unless you only had liability, in which case good luck fixin her up. Id reccomend sellin it to some poor sap asap

Can I have your conti's?

Comment

My son's first bike, a CB450, was rear-ended- yes, with him on it. The frame behind the upper shock mounts was bent, but as the shock mounts were fine, we straightened it back and it was fine. From what I read (pic is confusing to me) it sounds like you have a similar situation. If so, you can certainly ride it like it is. I see you as having these choices:

1. Straighten the sub frame so everything fits like it should (more work than you might imagine, if it's pushed to the side.)
              2. Cut off the bent part and make your bike into a street-fighter/bobber.
              3. Get a rear section from another bike and graft it on (way more trouble than anything else here.)
              4. Do nothing except ride it, thus turning your Kat(bike) into a Rat bike.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                if the frame is bent, IMO it's done, over. Now you can straighten a steel frame a whole lot easier then an aluminum frame, but still, I wouldn't trust it.
                Trash it. I wouldn't trust it either
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

I fixed the seat support and Put it back together. All is well! It looks better than before. I added spike bar ends, spike windscreen bolts, smoke windscreen, GP Pegs and new mirrors with turn signals.
                  Attached Files

Comment

good job, spiky

Comment

Just end up bending it back I assume?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                        Just end up bending it back I assume?
                        I used floor anchors and an elevated hydrolic pulling machine, while using a hand winch to pull the opposing tube. I got it within 1/8" and used shims to keep the tail fairing sitting perfect. Too bad I can't ride it!

Comment

Working...
                        X