X

Paint Removal from Rims

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Removal from Rims

I was wanting to know what the best way to remove the paint from just the outer edges of the rims would be. I still want the paint to stay on from the inner lip to the center of the wheel. I just want the outer edge to be polished so it looks close to chrome. Thanks

Get some masking tape (Painters tape), and mask off the area where you do not want to loose any paint. Then go and get you some aircraft paint stripper and have at it. Spray it on, let it sit for a bit, then scrape it off using something along the lines of a body filler kife (Flexable rubber basically). Easy as 1,2,4!!!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I was changing my brake fluid the other day , and it looks like THAT'll take paint off fairly easily , too ...
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, brake fluid likes to eat paint.
        The aircraft stripper works really well. You can get it at painters supply shops. Some advice while using it is wear rubber gloves, wait for the paint to start bubbling and use a scotchbrite pad to remove the paint. That stuff is nasty to breath too. Wear a mask, or at the least work outside in a well ventilated area.
        Eric
        2005 GSX-R 750

Comment

yeah i bought a bunch when working on the camaro from eastwoodco.com that stuff will eat it off. Use gloves unless You like the burning sensation.
          (like duff does when he urinates. )
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Keep a bucket of water nearby...that's stuff gets on your skin and OUCH!

Comment

ah, ye matt, spill any on your diveway??? cuz your tar wont be there now lol, and no z it doesnt burn any more i took the pill's duh

Comment

I have no tar in my driveway . That's pretty cool , though !
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks. Now, once the paint is off, what is the best way to polish, or I should say, how do you polish the new section so it is almost like chrome?

Comment

ah, you can do it by hand, start with like 1000 go to 1500 2000 3000 and 4000 if you really want to, its gonna be a lot of work but youll appreciate it lol

Comment

your talking about grits of sand paper? do you need anything else like a liquid polisher. or is it just time rubbing with sandpaper?

Comment

I really wouldn't mess with sanding if you're just doing the lips. They're already smooth (although a couple of people have complained about ridges??) and if you just strip the paint they should look great. $.02

Comment

well im just saying that cuz ive done it, ah polish you can pikcu p some the best stuff that i like and have used when detailedcars for almost 3 years now, is Eagle 1, they are little cotton chunks/balls/ and you just use thoes with nothing else, and ill take all the fine impurietes out and make it shine like a MOTHA lol

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
                            I really wouldn't mess with sanding if you're just doing the lips. They're already smooth (although a couple of people have complained about ridges??) and if you just strip the paint they should look great. $.02
                            Maybe go over it with a scrubby pad or steel wool? I can't remember which one, but that was supposed to make it look all purty though. Or maybe a buffer???
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

check that out
                              PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                              The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Working...
                              X