Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can I wet sand after last color coat but before clear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I wet sand after last color coat but before clear?

Just wondering if this should be done to improve the smoothness of the final product or doesnt it matter?
    I guess it shouldnt matter if the paint is a little rough cause the clear will fill all that in and then i can wet sand the clear with 2000 and buff it.

I did a test spot on one of the plastics just now with the 2000 grit and then some 3m rubbing compound, I couldnt believe the difference it made!!
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Do another test piece with the clear and see how it turns out. I tried that a while back and it never worked out right. It seems as though applying a wet clear to a dry base tends to wrinkle/orange peel badly. This is just my experience, I used all dupli-color products. Applying the clear while the base coat is still tacky is your best bet though.
    Some people carry on
    Some just stay right where they are
    Our worlds divide

Comment

never ever wetsand basecoat, unless you are re-applying, never apply any sort of polish or compound before topcoat either, good way to get fish-eyes

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothman View Post
        Applying the clear while the base coat is still tacky is your best bet though.
        +1

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
          never ever wetsand basecoat, unless you are re-applying, never apply any sort of polish or compound before topcoat either, good way to get fish-eyes
          Whut he said. +1
          Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
          www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Thanks, yea i realized as i was typing that it was a stupid question. I finished the tank last night prime and color (metallic black). Now im going to bring it to a body shop and try to get them to clear it with some good two part stuff.

How quickly will gasoline eat through the duplicolor lacquer clear?

I shouldn't bother to even ask and just do it the right way....
            1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
            1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Working...
            X