X

Mesh Mod Complete Better then I...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh Mod Complete Better then I...

Well I did it. I just wanted to give it a shot and It cames out 10x better then I thought. It took 2 tries but I got it done and done right. At first I use Locktite constrution grade crap and tried liquid nail. IMO they sux. Locktite doesn't hold the mesh in place very well and the liquid nail when it is cured and still it very soft. This is IMO maybe I grabbed the wrong type of this brand but Below is what I found works great and I know will last.

For anyone doing this. I use JB weld to get the mesh held in place just put some on each corner I let it cure I got the 5 mins set-up time. Then I got red RTV and laid a nice bead around the whole mesh. And let it set.

I love it cuz you dont even notices it till you get around 5-10 ft from the bike. And even in the 2nd shot Im probably 6ft away and it is still blurry

Edit: 04/22/2008 I took the Fairing off today becuz my LED's quit works and I figure I work took of some of the inside and the tools I used:

Not bad. It held really good

The JB Weld ran alot more then I wanted too but who cares. The hole is for the Frame Slider

I couldn't post the JB becuz I used it all. But I use Red RTV, The middle tools is a RTV squeezer really make the RTV smooth. And then Sheet Metal cutter.

See how much Mesh I have left over it the sheet is folded over.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

That looks cool. Are there specific mesh kits, or do you just grab whatever mesh you can get your hands on?

Comment

Originally posted by JIB View Post
      That looks cool. Are there specific mesh kits, or do you just grab whatever mesh you can get your hands on?
      I went to my local home depot and grab a 4x6 sheet of mesh I think people use it for there gutters. It was like 6 or 7 dollars. Then I grabs so Gloss black rattle can paint and at the time I grab the locktite constrution grade crap. And then when that didn't work on the pieces. I went to Wal-mart and got the liquid nail junk. I actually let it cure overnite and drove it a day and I wasn't happy with the results. So Yesterday I brought 2 tube of red RTV an a thing on JB weld. And went to town this morning cleaning off all the old junk off the fairing and making new mesh pieces and painting them.

Even after making 2 set of mesh pieces I think I use maybe 1/4 of a sheet of mesh.
      sigpic
      Update Jul 11 2014
      Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

That looks really cool man...nice work. Thanks for the head's up on where to get the mesh and what stuff to use to stick it. I might do the same thing now thanks to you.

Comment

Originally posted by JIB View Post
          they sell the mesh in a kit (jp cycles) or you can buy gutter wire at home depot or like store
          sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

nice job.
            Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
            www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Agreed nice job, came out very very nice....

How did you get the mess attached to the side panels and deal with the frame sliders not getting in the way?
              Last edited by Glimas; 04-21-2008, 01:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Glimas View Post
                Agreed nice job, came out very very nice....

How did you get the mess attached to the side panels and deal with the frame sliders not getting in the way?
                I installed the fairings without the sliders then I could see where I needed to cut. And I just use my sheers to cut out the hole.( the sliders has a bolt that screws into the bracket.)
                sigpic
                Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Looks good, but I hope that you dont have issues with the paint coming off. I painted some mesh blue for my bike, but the paint started chipping off.

I have found that powder coating mesh works much better.
                  It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
                    Looks good, but I hope that you dont have issues with the paint coming off. I painted some mesh blue for my bike, but the paint started chipping off.

I have found that powder coating mesh works much better.
                    That was my next question. Thanks.

At least I have a head start because I have gutter mesh in the garage already.

Comment

That's one good looking bike! I used hot glue on mine and never had a problem. I looked for mesh at Home Depot and couldn't find what I needed. I went over to Michael's though (an art/hobby store) and had several sheets from which to choose. That is a fine looking bike though.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

looks good i have the sliders too and was wondering how you could make them look good
                        New Ride

Sold Kat

Comment

Great job man!! .. i really like that black.

Instead of using glue, i used Velcrow ... so far its held up really well.

I have my mesh painted gold . and i have noticed that its starting to fade ... its not a big deal though, b/c I can just take it off and repaint it.

Comment

Velcro....now there's a good idea for sure!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

myspace
                              2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                              X