X

FINALLY done painting!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY done painting!

Finally all set with this. After lots of sanding and about 10 hours of prep work I threw on three or four coats of Duplicolor filler primer, five coats of Duplicolor Black Metallic T90, and at least six coats of Duplicolor clear coat (T120 I think). Overall im really happy with it. Couple small areas that I see now because im inspecting with a microscope (not really) but once they're on it will look beautiful!!!

Total job took about 20 hours and about 15 beers

First pic is from my parts bike that I used the plastics from...
    What do you think?

Josh
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

looks good from theere post some up when its all back together sure it will look just as nice if not better
    New Ride

Sold Kat

Comment

Thanks, just need a couple of decals now. Nothing too bling... just a nice SUZUKI one or something.
      1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

can't wait to see it finished and assembled!!
        How did the duplicolor apply for you?
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

looks great
          myspace
          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

looking good
            its 1973 ,almost dinner time ,i'm having hoops

Comment

Thought about cut and polishing it? I just did my wheels with 1500 sand paper and 3M Finesse-It and WOW !, makes the paint look Mercedes quality.
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

wowwww you did your thang with that paint job Bro was it your skills or the 15 bottles of beer hahaha
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Thanks guys.... and yes... I had the power of Samuel Adams on my side.
                  Duplicolor went on really well, no issues at all. One of the cans of clear coat got flaky every now and then but other than that it was all good.

Not sure what cut and polishing is but I plan the clear coat cans say after 48 hours to use a mild rubbing compound on it and buff it.
                  Prob do that today...

Ill post more pics once I get the bike back together. Prob wont be for a few more days. Waiting for parts from BikeBandit so there's no point in getting it together until then.

Thanks again

Comment

Lookin Good For a spray can Job. Thats what Im doing this summer on a older Pre i got. I think its going to be a bright color,

Hey I Just noticed your in Cranston R.I. I was stationed at Davisville. R.I. When I was In The Navy Seabees!
                    Last edited by #1 Moses; 04-17-2008, 05:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I did my pre with spray bomb

reason mostly, cost and plastix are busted up

I have seen some awesome paint that were done in spraybomb.
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Cut and polish - when you spray the clear coat you will get some orange peel in it, just a fact of life unless you have some top quality clear, top notch equipment and years of experience, but even then painters usually get some to some degree. So to get it babies a$$ smooth and glassy they wet sand it with 1500 - 2000 grit sand paper to level the surface which will give ya a smooth but dull finish. Then you polish that with something like 3M Finesse-It II or Mequiars polishing compound etc which will bring back the finish and make it ultra shiny. There are a few guys with more experience than me that may pipe in here and offer advise.
                        2000 Katana 600
                        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Ah, ok thats cool. Yea there is some slight peeling but I dont think its anything i cant live with as is. Just the thought of sanding again gives me a headache. I think ill just polish the crap out of it and see what turns up...

Ill post em once its assembled next week...

Comment

Looks Great!
                            I too dupli-colored my bike. TRUST ME it's worth wetsanding and using rubbing compound! I used 1500 wet and then used a cheap buffer and turtle wax liquid medium rubbing compound. It totally was worth the extra sanding!
                            sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

GRRRR really!? Damn, now i have to do it... Gee thanks...

Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X