X

Springbreak Paintjob (pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springbreak Paintjob (pics)

I hit a patch of salt in February and had some damage from the previous owner that I've put up with for the last 3 years. So I finally fixed and painted the Kat.
    I used Dupli-Color MetalCast Red system. It is a red candy over a silver flake base. It turned out real nice.

Last edited by grslightn; 04-26-2008, 12:26 AM. Reason: added pictures
    sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Looks purty I imagine you sprayed using rattle cans? How many did you wind up using, and did/are you going to clear coat the finished parts? She's gonna looks sharp!
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

beautiful color choice.
      If you dont get free tacos out of the deal then keep walking.

Comment

Good job

Comment

nice color looks close to my old stang that i traded in. i am so tempted to try to paint my bike myself after seeing the results and write ups here.
          SFC Smith US Army Iraqi War Veteran.
          Honda 919 Rider

Comment

good job I love the color
            sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Lookin good
              Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
              www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

I really like the color--good choice.
                American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

Looks great man.

Smitty, if you're patient and willing to put in the work, I'd definitely do it. It's actually really easy to paint, just takes a lot of patience and attention to detail. And remember, the quality is in the PREP work as much as it is in the actual painting.

Comment

Looks excellent. did you get the belly pan painted the same also?
                    myspace
                    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

THANKS Everyone!!
                      Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                      Looks purty I imagine you sprayed using rattle cans? How many did you wind up using, and did/are you going to clear coat the finished parts? She's gonna looks sharp!

Yes, all rattle can.
                      I used 6 cans of each filler primer, metalcast basecoat, metalcast anodized red and acrylic enamel clear. I put 2 light, 1 medium coats of primer and basecoat and 2 light, 2 medium coats of base, 3 light 1 medium color and 4 medium coats of clear.

Painting took only 6 hours, about 20 minute flash time between coats.
                      I used a 3m respirator I went through refill cartridges after not knowing they clogged so quickly and saftey goggles. I stress the use of fresh cartridges and goggles as my vision blurred during the primer and base coats. NOT FUN! but fine after fresh air.

Prepwork took total of 25 hours. I used 3m 60 and 100 grit sanding blocks on the scratches and 320 sanding block to rough everything up before paint.
                      I filled the deep scratches with Locktite ABS epoxy (home depot) use a little as excess takes forever to sand smooth.

Originally posted by Mat0302 View Post
                      Looks excellent. did you get the belly pan painted the same also?
                      No, no damage and I think the black will look good.
                      Last edited by grslightn; 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

Looks like it will pop pretty good in the sun! Good job!

Comment

I like the color a lot. Should look good when shes back together.

Comment

It looks great....
                            Awesome job

Don't get fuel on that paint though. it will eat the clear coat.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Looks really nice.... I hope mine turns out that good when I am done
                              Light travels faster than sound... Thats why some people appear very bright until they speak.

Comment

Working...
                              X