X

Givi Luggage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Givi Luggage

I'm looking at Givi top & side cases for my 2002 Kat, the cases look great (although my wallet's a little scared of them) but I'm a little fuzzy on the mounting options.
    Can anyone post close-up pics of thier Givi mounts or offer advice?

CyberPoet - I read your earlier posts here about mounts for your '01 600. Any idea how much of that info applies to my '02 750?
    Maybe the PL518 will fit? I've also been advised that a Wingrack can be convinced to do the job with minimal effort......?

I've also considered Givi side cases with a Ventura rack, but without detailed mounting info I'm not sure if I can mount them both. Any idea's, pics or links fellow Katsters?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

The PL518's will fit in place of the PL525. Works just fine. The only difference between the two is some coloration issues that aren't very noticable anyway (basically the tip by the passenger footpegs are color matched on the PL525, black on the PL518). The PL518 & PL525 is not the right option if you want a top rack -- you need to use the other type racks instead. Personally, I can't imagine needing more space than the two side bags -- it was enough for my & my other half for 10 days on the road -- plus I don't like the drag induced by the top cases (think sail or foil in the rear, where the windstream normally wants to close).

If in doubt, contact Givi's American distributor -- she was really nice (I don't have her name, but one of the vendors passed it to me).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the tips!
      You may be right in terms of the topbox being overkill. Think I'll stick to the panniers for now. The dude at the stealership was pretty vague about the mounts so it's great to hear from somebody who's actually tried it.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
      -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber
        Personally, I can't imagine needing more space than the two side bags -- it was enough for my & my other half for 10 days on the road -- plus I don't like the drag induced by the top cases (think sail or foil in the rear, where the windstream normally wants to close).
        I don't really notice that much drag with my topcase. In fact, it is pretty much always on during the sumer. I like it for convenience as compared to the side ones. If I want to grab my camera or something, the top just flips up as apposed to having to take the sidecase pretty much off.
        If I only had the side cases, I probably would not miss the top one. But seeing as I do have it, and have become used to it, I would miss it if it was gone.
        But it does play a bit with balance if you are in the curves and it is loaded. You just have to get used to it.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
          I don't really notice that much drag with my topcase. In fact, it is pretty much always on during the sumer. I like it for convenience as compared to the side ones. If I want to grab my camera or something, the top just flips up as apposed to having to take the sidecase pretty much off.
          If I only had the side cases, I probably would not miss the top one. But seeing as I do have it, and have become used to it, I would miss it if it was gone.
          But it does play a bit with balance if you are in the curves and it is loaded. You just have to get used to it.
          +1 on Mojoe. I use my topcase all the time, the sidecases make the bike a bit wide for lane-sharing

I did some grocery shopping a few weeks ago (the Kat is my only means of transport), with a lot of heavy stuff loaded in the topcase... it did change the steering and front braking quite a lot . Got to be careful with that...
          - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
            I did some grocery shopping a few weeks ago (the Kat is my only means of transport), with a lot of heavy stuff loaded in the topcase... it did change the steering and front braking quite a lot . Got to be careful with that...
            I do shopping with the side-cases every now and then -- for a while there, I did with them all the time (couldn't use a top case then -- 20Kg bag of dogfood lays over the top of the bags across the backseat). Loaded, I agree, any cases can change the braking, but more so the topcase since it sits at the extreme edge of the theoretical balance point (opposite the front wheel) and can make the front end too light compared to what you're used to.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Originally posted by Yellow
              I do shopping with the side-cases every now and then -- for a while there, I did with them all the time (couldn't use a top case then -- 20Kg bag of dogfood lays over the top of the bags across the backseat). Loaded, I agree, any cases can change the braking, but more so the topcase since it sits at the extreme edge of the theoretical balance point (opposite the front wheel) and can make the front end too light compared to what you're used to.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Yeah, I for sure will never load more than 5-7 kg in the topcase... it's got a lot more leverage than the sidecases.
              - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
                I don't really notice much from the front end. Braking is fine and so is turning. But then again I have been using the cases for over 10 yrs, so maybe I just automatically adjust without even noticing. However leaning is when you have to be careful. I brought a 10+ lb part home from work one night and it shifted from one side of the case to the other when I leaned hard. It was only a small amount of weight, but when it shifted quickly, it was almost like someone kicked the side of my bike. The bike wobbled in the curve. It kinda freaked me out.
                As for what Cyber mentioned about the "sail or foil" effect, I notice that mostly when I have all 3 cases on and I encounter a side wind. I was travelling across some "plains" last year between my place and Montreal that have been known to blow cars right into the ditch on slippery winter roads. I had to drop my speed to about 30mph and it was freaking me out. The gusts would literally blow me from one side of my lane to the other. It can do this without the cases, but with them it is much much worse.
                I load the crap out my bike. 3 full cases, tent and sleeping bags strapped to the topcase....plus a passenger. A good 250lbs in all. The only thing that demands my attention is mostly my rear brake.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

For all the other 01/02 owners..... I just thought I'd let you know that I just contacted Givi's Australian distributor and he tells me that the PL525's for 01/02 Kats are in stock!! I had previously been told that they were out of production. If they are now back on the production line then they should be available elsewhere as well.
                  -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                  X