X

Handlebars question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handlebars question

Is there any way to raise the handlebars on a 05 Kat 600? I am short( 5'8") with a short reach and even sitting up as far as I can I feel like I am supporting myself too much with my arms.
    Just curious.

Thanks,
    Vince
    > Vince <

05 Katana 600
    97 Mustang GT
    95 GMC K2500 4x4

pricey, but one of the few that make them for the Kats.

Comment

One of the easiest ways is to install the triple-tree riser plate and handle bar assembly from the 750 Kat, which will raise the bars by somewhere between 1/2" and an inch. Due to the change, the bars should also vibrate slightly less (there's a rubber isolation plate used on the Kat 750 that's not present in the 600 assembly). Due to changes in triple-tree spacing, you may have to stick to '03 - '05 models...

Several firms make handle-bar risers for various bikes including the Kat. These are like the "AS" model conversion kits like KatDan2 listed (not like the "AP" kit at the same site), and are simply replacments for the "riser" part where the handlebar extension gets mounted into, designed to raise them by a specific amount (and usually rotates them a bit as well for better comfort). Know that if you go this route, you will probably need to replace certain cables and hoses to cover the extra distance (throttle, choke cables, brake hose). Searching the web should yield several manufacturers with prices typically in the $130 range.

Finally, you can tackle the problem from the other end -- raise your butt up to reduce the stretch. A gel seat or a gel-insert for the standard seat should raise you up by another half inch to an inch, which may reduce your stretch. Since you said you were 5'8", you will probably want to match this to a set of lowering adjustments to the Kat as well (longer dogbones to reduce the rear wheel-to-seat height, and dropping the forks some).

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Try some ape hangers.

Comment

Wait , I know that on the "pre" the clip-ons for the 600's are on the bottom of the tree , and the 750's are on the TOP , making them a couple inches higher . Are the "posts" the same way ? If not , what about swapping parts from a 750 to make them higher ?
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            Wait , I know that on the "pre" the clip-ons for the 600's are on the bottom of the tree , and the 750's are on the TOP , making them a couple inches higher . Are the "posts" the same way ? If not , what about swapping parts from a 750 to make them higher ?
            On the posts, they both clip to the top of the tree, but in the 750's, they rest on a separate platform that's attached to a 1/4" rubber layer which in turn is attached to the top of the trees. Visiting RonAyers.com will yield you parts diagrams that explain the difference clearly... the only question is whether the change in the triple-tree spacing for the '03 - '05 models permit use of the 98-02 type 750 mount or not.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Still sounds easier and less costly than an "aftermarket" fix ...
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                One of the easiest ways is to install the triple-tree riser plate and handle bar assembly from the 750 Kat, which will raise the bars by somewhere between 1/2" and an inch. Due to the change, the bars should also vibrate slightly less (there's a rubber isolation plate used on the Kat 750 that's not present in the 600 assembly). Due to changes in triple-tree spacing, you may have to stick to '03 - '05 models...

Several firms make handle-bar risers for various bikes including the Kat. These are like the "AS" model conversion kits like KatDan2 listed (not like the "AP" kit at the same site), and are simply replacments for the "riser" part where the handlebar extension gets mounted into, designed to raise them by a specific amount (and usually rotates them a bit as well for better comfort). Know that if you go this route, you will probably need to replace certain cables and hoses to cover the extra distance (throttle, choke cables, brake hose). Searching the web should yield several manufacturers with prices typically in the $130 range.

Finally, you can tackle the problem from the other end -- raise your butt up to reduce the stretch. A gel seat or a gel-insert for the standard seat should raise you up by another half inch to an inch, which may reduce your stretch. Since you said you were 5'8", you will probably want to match this to a set of lowering adjustments to the Kat as well (longer dogbones to reduce the rear wheel-to-seat height, and dropping the forks some).

Good Luck!
                =-= The CyberPoet
                CyberPoet, do you know where I can get the triple-tree riser plates at? I have searched quite a bit and can't find any risers for the 600. I emailed gen-mar and Helibars and they don't make them. Couldn't find anything on other sites as well.

Thanks,
                Vince
                > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                97 Mustang GT
                95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by vdaily89
                  CyberPoet, do you know where I can get the triple-tree riser plates at? I have searched quite a bit and can't find any risers for the 600. I emailed gen-mar and Helibars and they don't make them. Couldn't find anything on other sites as well.

Thanks,
                  Vince
                  I don't know off the top of my head, but I should be able to find something if I search... Which year/model?

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sorry, I should've put it in the post. It's a 05 Katana 600.

thanks again,
                    Vince
                    > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                    97 Mustang GT
                    95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Sorry, I should've put it in the post. It's a 05 Katana 600.
                      As far as I can tell, you have three basic choices:
                      (A) Go the 750 style upper tree platform, OR
                      (B) Order a set of Converti-Bars [ http://www.convertibars.com/ ] (and know they won't work in all positions in their range of motion), OR
                      (C) Have them custom manufactured.
                      Sorry.

How much of a rise do you want?
                      KNOW THIS: By this time next week, I should be a ConvertiBar dealership

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks. Sounds like the 750 upper tree platform may be the simplest. Know where I can get one of these?
                        Thanks for all your help.
                        Vince
                        > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                        97 Mustang GT
                        95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

The convertibars look awesome. Are they hard to install?
                          > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                          97 Mustang GT
                          95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Not particularly, but they do have a limited range of adjustment on the Kats before they will hit the fairing where it raises up to support the gauges during a turn.

I've been thinking about making risers as a product line for the 98+ Kat 600's (but it would take several months to finish the R&D). Anyone else desperately want them?

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              Not particularly, but they do have a limited range of adjustment on the Kats before they will hit the fairing where it raises up to support the gauges during a turn.

I've been thinking about making risers as a product line for the 98+ Kat 600's (but it would take several months to finish the R&D). Anyone else desperately want them?

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Thanks again. Those do look sweet. They really bring the bars up. So in certain positions they will hit the fairing and not give stop-to-stop turning? If they come up as far as they show in the promo vid and can still give me a full range of motion, I think they would be worth it.
                              > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                              97 Mustang GT
                              95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X