X

Healing her wounds.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing her wounds.

Ok pictured here is my lovely little beast on wheels and shes got a few battle scars. Basically, both emblems need to be replaced, the fairings are scraped and lower cowl is cracked. The engine and trans cover on each side are scraped, and basically she just needs a nice new clean paint job. So any insight of how to's mainly for the fairings (everything else is pretty much pull off and replace) would be greatly appreciated.

There they are, have it it. Appreciate it guys.
    Last edited by FugaziImposter; 01-11-2008, 05:59 PM.

I'd suggest using ABS welding rods to build up the scraped plastic areas and reshape them.

I'm still not sure what part you were talking about in the shoutbox.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Oh by the way

Anyone whos got replacement covers for each side trans/engine, feel free to post me the where and how much. I also know poet has the emblems which I want exact replacements for. Other than that, I'm thinking along the lines of a custom paint job with black and something else. Any input is greatly taken in and bad ideas will be shot in the face lol jk. Thanks guys.

Comment

Flat black it and ride it.

Comment

Line-X it!
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

that **** will buff out

Just kidding
            For the plastic use a 2 part plastic epoxy weld like the Permatex 84115 PermaPoxy 5 minute Plastic Weld.

Sand down and remove all the paint around the area that you are working on use a 120 grit paper, Mix up some epoxy and build up the worn down areas and sand them back to the proper shape, then seal and re-paint.
            For the cracks, use a clamp to hold the cracks together in place, Don't worry about fixing the entire crack all at once. V notch the crack about 1/4" away from the crack on either side all the way though. Then and fill in the cracks, then remove the clamps after it has set and do the rest of the crack. once the front side is done, sand smooth and move onto the back side. On the back U nothc the original plastic and the repaired epoxy and do the same, but you can build it up a little more for extra strength.

For the engine covers, remove them and clean then really well, sand um down fill in the scrapes with JBweld, sand smooth and then repaint with dupli-color wheel paint.
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-12-2008, 12:57 AM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
              that **** will buff out

Just kidding
              For the plastic use a 2 part plastic epoxy weld like the Permatex 84115 PermaPoxy 5 minute Plastic Weld.

Sand down and remove all the paint around the area that you are working on use a 120 grit paper, Mix up some epoxy and build up the worn down areas and sand them back to the proper shape, then seal and re-paint.
              For the cracks, use a clamp to hold the cracks together in place, Don't worry about fixing the entire crack all at once. V notch the crack about 1/4" away from the crack on either side all the way though. Then and fill in the cracks, then remove the clamps after it has set and do the rest of the crack. once the front side is done, sand smooth and move onto the back side. On the back U nothc the original plastic and the repaired epoxy and do the same, but you can build it up a little more for extra strength.

For the engine covers, remove them and clean then really well, sand um down fill in the scrapes with JBweld, sand smooth and then repaint with dupli-color wheel paint.
              sounds like you've done this once or twice.

Comment

Thanks guys, this really helps. I just picked up the plastic weld and am gonna start on most of that this weekend.

Comment

Good luck! You will have your baby fixed back up in no time.
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey thats a motorcycle not a snowmobile

Kidding........... Mine has a few small scratches, since I rode it before I had it lowered. Since I didn't reach the ground flat footed, I fell. Then after I lowered it, I took it out of the garage and parked it on the sidewalk while I gathered my things and as soon as I put the stand and turned my back BAMMMMMMMMMM to the floor..... Cause the idiot that lowered it (At the dealer where I bought it) forgot to tell me that I needed to do something with the stand in order for it to NOT fall. Long story short, I still have not done anything to the stand and have to be very careful to be on an angle when I park it.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                      that **** will buff out

Just kidding

Excuse my "n00b-ness", but what do you mean by "V notch" and "U notch"?

Someone just gave me a 97 600 that was put down HARD on the left side and it needs LOADS of plastic repair...among other things.

This is all new to me.
                      Trashed 97 Kat 600...a work in progress!

Comment

Originally posted by caribbean_barbie View Post
                        Hey thats a motorcycle not a snowmobile

Kidding........... Mine has a few small scratches, since I rode it before I had it lowered. Since I didn't reach the ground flat footed, I fell. Then after I lowered it, I took it out of the garage and parked it on the sidewalk while I gathered my things and as soon as I put the stand and turned my back BAMMMMMMMMMM to the floor..... Cause the idiot that lowered it (At the dealer where I bought it) forgot to tell me that I needed to do something with the stand in order for it to NOT fall. Long story short, I still have not done anything to the stand and have to be very careful to be on an angle when I park it.
                        Centerstand it pronto!!!
                        It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

hehe

When I lowered it I just adjusted the shocks a little to incorporate for the lower ride and that was pretty much it. I haven't adjusted the forks though 'm told I can get them down about an inch if need be. I'm only 5' 6" so yea I know where the height can kill ya. After that I just rode her. The idiot before me is the jerk who scraped the hell out of it and he put it into a ditch and couldn't get out, got busted without a license and insurance and was forced to sell her. I got it on a steal so yea. So far the lower cowl looks really decent. I've filled in all the gouges and little scratches and have half the crack done. Once thats all said and done its a bit more sanding and a repaint, though I haven't decided if I want to go back to the pewter color or another. I've thought of making her all black at this point. Who knows yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                            Excuse my "n00b-ness", but what do you mean by "V notch" and "U notch"?

Someone just gave me a 97 600 that was put down HARD on the left side and it needs LOADS of plastic repair...among other things.

This is all new to me.
                            Basically what you do is ..using a dremal tool with a burr cutting tool cut the plastics back on a 45o angle on both sides of the crack so you are left with a large V shaped crack to fill. Once that is done you make a wider more shallow U shaped notch on the back side to fill in.
                            It's very simple.
                            see the pics
                            FWIW when doing major plasics repairs and large areas I use fiberglass resin/cloth. It's cheap and easy to work with. Shapes and molds can first be made using aliminum screen mesh like what people use on the vents of some katanas. I've repaired fairing that people once thought unrepairable. Below is a ZZR i bought and rebuilt for my ex.. to replace the plastics that were damaged was going to be over $3500. I rebuilt this bike for $1000 including paint.

Crack

V notched

V notch filled with epoxy

U notched on the other side

Unotch filled with epoxy

This picture shows the worst major cracks, warped or bent plastics, broken pieces or missing pieces. not to mention nearly every tabs or fastener point was broken or missing the front nose piece on the lower fairing was complately smasked out and missing on both sides as was a chunk out of the windscreen fairing.

The finish product. *new windscreen not yet installed, she liked the chopped cut down version, so I painted it balck instead. FWIW I hate the color but she picked it out. The paint looks a lil dull in places. This pic was taken before the paint was wet sanded and polished.
                            All done with rattlecan praypaint

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by 01blewkat View Post
                              sounds like you've done this once or twice.

Yeah you could say that!
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                              X