Polishing tank progress, any tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing tank progress, any tips?

Hi all,
    Well the River City Bikefest in San Antonio was great, and I was waiting for all that to be over to dive into this project. So far the tank is stripped, and lemme tell ya that is STUBBORN paint. Guess because it's supposed to be gas resistant. After about 7 or 8 rounds of stripper, it's off. I've researched quite a bit on polishing steel with not much info, and apparently it isn't a popular thing to do. I was just going to pretty much treat it like aluminum, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this? Also, I realize I can't get too crazy with this thin metal.
    One thing I noticed is the grain of the metal, and even if I get a decent shine out of it, I think it would be absolutely beautiful with the grain showing.
    I just started this project, but I figure it's a good idea to slap on a coat of wax after I'm done for the day until the tank's clear coated, right?
    Any suggestions on what grits to use or whatever is extremely welcome. Take care-
    Dennis
    Attached Files
    '01 TL1000R

Use a product called NeverDull. It should have it shining like a new dime in no time. I dont know that I would do the wax. If you do, you just have to strip it so you can start polishing again, and if you dont get it all stripped off, you are going to have problems getting the clear coat to stick. Unless you are in a really humid area or having lots and lots of rain, you should be ok without anything on the tank for a few days while you are polishing. Even if you are in a very wet area, the only rust you will get will be surface that should rub right off as you are polishing.
    If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

I like to use a greaseless rouge on a buffing wheel to polish things like the knife blades that I make. I get mine here http://www.jantzsupply.com/. Do a search for greaseless paste. I start with 150 grit then I go to 320. That is usually enough for me, but if you want a real mirror shine you can go all the way up to 800 grit.

Comment

Those shoes will never work. Try Nike's.

Comment

Thanks for the tips... For the shoes I was looking for nike's, but all I had was adidas, shouldn't affect the finish too much. Also in that pic is one of the many uses I have for my work shirts. They double quite nicely as napkins, too. Any ideas on a clear coat for this?
          '01 TL1000R

Comment

Just got the used tank I bought on eBay some week ago... and I'm considering doing something similar (I will need to repaint it, in any case). I'm not sure I'll try to polish it to a mirror shine, I'm thinking it could be nice with some "raw metal" feeling to it.

I do wonder about what clear coat to use - are there any good ones that will bond well to the metal and resist gas etc?
            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Duplicolor sells a clear coat for rims. should be able to hold up pretty good(considering that they made it for the rims ) anything that could possibly come in contact with the rims. as far as fuel goes......i'm clueless . sorry if i did not help(just thought i'd let you know) . maybe CP can help you guys out with more info.
              PAUL
              93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Ok people I'm making progress.... here's a pic of what I've got so far. I'm pretty much wingin' it, not too experienced in this department. I can make up for stupidity with patience. I'm using 600 wet, then 00 and then 0000 steel wool, and it seems to be getting me there. Yes, this is all by hand too, just can't seem to come across the right power tool for it. Earlier I saw that wheel clear coat at Autozone earlier, and it looks perfect for the job, thanks for the suggestion seqx34. .....back to polishing
                Attached Files
                '01 TL1000R

Comment

get a good sponge buffer pad and buff with medium grade rubbing compound. You can get it at a local napa or car quest
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I don't normally comment on this forum because so much is a matter of taste and honestly, bling-bling isn't my thing, so I avoid most body-work related topics (and doing them myself as well). The only things I have to say are:

(A) Make sure you top coat it to keep it from rusting. Clearcoat or nickel-chrome plating is an obvious choice. Wax is asking for trouble, as it will smear off from bugs, etc.

(B) I saw something awesome at the powdercoater's the other day -- a special candy colored plating that goes on over steel or chromed finishes. It looked totally awesome, but you'd have a hard time color-matching it to anything else on the bike unless you did the swing arms, etc. as well...

(C) Remember that when you park in the sun, that baby is going to be hot as #$*&% to the touch. Good luck with that.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

There is some stuff called wenol. It works great and will poilsh that up in no time. There are all kinds of buffing wheels out there. So far looks like you are doing pretty good with what you have.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

thanks for the suggestion seqx34
                        No problem bro hope it all works out for you! and dont forget to post pix of the finish product.
                        PAUL
                        93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Check this site out, Lou showed me this and this looks like a alternative for just plan ole paint.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

i started stripping my bike a few weeks ago, and just got to the tank. i like the ~cool steel finish~ so much that i'm gonna polish it out and keep it. thanks for the idea! ...way cool!

Comment

Nice Avitar Emerson!!!

mystahagy
                              Nickel would be my suggestion however!!
                              I would worry about the mirror effect..

About the sun/heat thing??

Just ask Thom about what happens to your seat belt buckles in Phoenix!!

Comment

Working...
                              X