X

fixing left mirror screw in plate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing left mirror screw in plate

OK, so the last owner wrecked my bike and the left mirrors top screw does not screw in right. I have to use a lot of force and make it go in at the right angle or it wont at all. I looked at it, and the metal plate that it screws into is bent inward.

What is the best method of straightening this plate out? It is the triangular piece that is above screw #6 in the link below.

1996 Kat 750
    Just remember: Satan loves you

Comment

I take it someone has hit the alcohol hard

Comment

Originally posted by hougy View Post
        OK, so the last owner wrecked my bike and the left mirrors top screw does not screw in right. I have to use a lot of force and make it go in at the right angle or it wont at all. I looked at it, and the metal plate that it screws into is bent inward.

What is the best method of straightening this plate out? It is the triangular piece that is above screw #6 in the link below.

1996 Kat 750
        http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_00...tion_parts.cfm
        I would almost recommend that you try and find someone that could heat it up a bit and bend it back out.
        92 Katana 600
        ------
        GO BLUE!!!

Comment

The cowling brace itself is bent, or the bracket that the mirror screws into?

You should be able to bend the mirror tab back into shape... then run a tap through it to clean the threads up.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

A vise grip may work. I'm just concerned that if anything else is bent along with it, you might be chasing your tail if the whole assembly is out of whack. Seems like it would be hard to bend just that little tab in the midst of the whole assembly.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
              A vise grip may work. I'm just concerned that if anything else is bent along with it, you might be chasing your tail if the whole assembly is out of whack. Seems like it would be hard to bend just that little tab in the midst of the whole assembly.

It can be done... mine was bent several times with the vise grip marks to prove fixing.... the eventual problem was that the entire brace was mis-aligned.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It's just the plate that I saw. I'm doing a little project of the weekend that involves removing the fairings, I'll take another look. My buddy said to just get a wrenck, put a metal plate in the top portion and place it on the bend part, then just pull it outwards. I duunnnooo,, I dont want it to snap.

Comment

Bent

Hougy Take it to a Seabee we can fix anything but a broken heart! US Navy Seabees MCB 53 1967-1969

Comment

Originally posted by hougy View Post
                    It's just the plate that I saw. I'm doing a little project of the weekend that involves removing the fairings, I'll take another look. My buddy said to just get a wrenck, put a metal plate in the top portion and place it on the bend part, then just pull it outwards. I duunnnooo,, I dont want it to snap.
                    Like Steves says , been there , done that . It'll be ok . Be better if you don't do it out in the cold . Cold metal is more brittle . If it DOES snap ........ JB Weld anyone ?
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X