X

color change paint over other colors?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• color change paint over other colors?

I had an idea. I am going to have to re-paint my bike, and while I like how the color changes in those color changing paints (like in the how to paint your bike thread) looks , however I would prefer it as simply a shimmer on top of another color. I was wondering if it was possible to put a light coat of this paint on top of another conventional paint, then the clearcoat and get a shimmer effect? are these paints compatable with conventional paint/primers? thanks for the help

-Tyler

Basically what you are going to attempt is a full Ghost affect of your old paint. I would like to attempt what you are going to try, but i see some problems with it. Ghosting(i.e. ghost flames) is a ghost image under a full coat of paint. it is very difficult to do and do right. I have seen people go opposite and put the ghosts on top of the color coat. It doesnt have the same affect though. Ghosting is a very hard technique to master. I have painted several bikes and cars and I dont think I would attempt it without lost of surplus material to practice on first. Lots of thinner to get the paint very translucent would be my first guess at how to accomplish this, and I am not sure how that much thinner would affect the hues of the color changing paint you are talking about. My advice, if we are talking pre 98, take the piece of fairing that sits below the headlight off and try it on there first. Its very small, less area to re do while you are perfecting your paint, and also, if you cant master it, its very small, so easy to just repaint it to match the rest of the bike, also, if you cant repaint it to match, its very small, and pretty inexpensive to replace. Did I mention its very small?
    If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Lou knows all about this!!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I think you could probably get the ghost effect you want with a pearl as the ghost paint. Just a theory never actually tried it. I'm figuring if you do a contrasting color like a red pearl over blue paint that would work. but if you are talking about flip flop paints there is base coat that has to go under the paint in order for the paint to come out right. Again just a theory but I would like to see how it comes out if you try it.

Good luck

Experiment!!!!!
        92 Katana 600 Project bike
        Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Comment

I painted my bike black last year and this year I am taping off flames and painting them with grey primer then with anodized purple paint, I finished my front fender, and just to try it, I sprayed it with the step 2 of 3 can from the 3 can color change paint from wal-mart. It worked a little. It wasn't really noticable until the sun hit it at the right angle. It sounds like this is the effect you are looking for. I think it would really look ghost if your paint is dark and you use a color change with your color in it. Like a red bike with the flames (or what ever) taped off and then just spray the 2 of 3 can of red/yellow color change paint on the red base paint.
          1995 Katana 750 for sale in Bikes for sale section.

Comment

out of curiosity how many coats did you put down on it? but yeah, that does sound like what i would be going for, i agree that a two tone sort of thing would look badass with that

-Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by djturnz
              I sprayed it with the step 2 of 3 can from the 3 can color change paint from wal-mart. It worked a little. It wasn't really noticable until the sun hit it at the right angle. .
              I know a few people that havew experimented with these paints and the best results come from using all three steps. Something about that base coat makes the flip flop really stand out.
              92 Katana 600 Project bike
              Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Comment

The bas for the color change is black, I used black primer and it was very similar.

As for how many coats, I used 3 or 4 coats of the purple anodized then 3 coats of the step 2 of 3 can. Be careful though, I wet sanded before the clear coat with 1500 grit and it took some of the gloss out of the color change, after I CC'd most of it came back but I think it would be brighter if I would not have. I only did it because my flames were raised up and I wanted to smooth the edges a little.
                1995 Katana 750 for sale in Bikes for sale section.

Comment

What color where you planning on putting this over? Corey and I experimented with the paint quite a bit. Over a lot of colors, it just gave a pearl look, still nice. Over black though,is when it gave its true color change appearance. The colorchange paint is really not a paint, but a pigment. It has no color to it. It is basically just a clear carrier, with small reflective particles in it. Those particales is what causes the color shift, and the black base coat is what is needed to complete the actually colorchange. You can take the duplicolor colorshift paint, and paint it over your blinkers, or windscreen, and it will still be transparent, just shimmery. If you decide to go with something like this, I highly recommend Duplicolor due to there fan type tips. You are able to acheive a much more even coat with it. Also, the more layers you lay, the more colorchange there will be. We layed about 6 laters of actually pigment over the black.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

get the cadillac paint you can get on the CTS. it's a pearl white with red or blue that only shows up a bit. it's sick

Comment

Working...
                    X