No announcement yet.
X

New Grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got good grips now.....now if i could just talk someone into making a solo cowl for the pre 98's i would be about ready to start the rebuild process on my bike!! Dont know anyone that makes solo cowls do ya Braada? LOL
    If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Re: Grip review follow-up

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      Originally posted by BraadaJim
      My carbs have a tendancy to work themselves out of synch and yesterday they did just that.
      Do you know why they do that? You might want to try cleaning off the adjuster screws (brake cleaner or carb cleaner) and then put a little loctite on the adjuster screws (and I do mean just a tiny-little bit).
      It doesn't happen that often and actually I didn't mean out of synch. What happens is that I have an air/fuel screw that likes to work itself out. Seems to happen after about 1000 miles or lots of hard riding. My bike is about to undergo a major transformation and fixing that is on the list.

Originally posted by SlytlyDeranged
      got good grips now.....now if i could just talk someone into making a solo cowl for the pre 98's i would be about ready to start the rebuild process on my bike!! Dont know anyone that makes solo cowls do ya Braada? LOL
      Sure, just get a 750 and I got you covered.
      Hmmm I do have one NOS Suzuki unit left I could duplicate....... might have to try that
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Re: Grip review follow-up

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        My carbs have a tendancy to work themselves out of synch and yesterday they did just that.
        Do you know why they do that? You might want to try cleaning off the adjuster screws (brake cleaner or carb cleaner) and then put a little loctite on the adjuster screws (and I do mean just a tiny-little bit).
        It doesn't happen that often and actually I didn't mean out of synch. What happens is that I have an air/fuel screw that likes to work itself out. Seems to happen after about 1000 miles or lots of hard riding. My bike is about to undergo a major transformation and fixing that is on the list.
        Cool... if not, setting another same-threaded set-screw behind it once it's set correctly might work as a fast, cheap fix.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Been out of town for a few days, but while I was gone, the shipment of blk/blk grips came in. Sorry for the delay, but we finally got Fedex straightened out. For thos that had already placed an order, my lovely wife sent them out to you today. Again, I apologize for the delay.
          Mike

Co-Owner of 2Wheel Tours

Sponsored by: Superbike Supply, Pit-Bull, Sharkskinz, Spidergrips, Tailofthedragon.com, New Enough, Clear Alternatives, XT Racing, and others.

Comment

I ordered mine yesterday black/blue. Can't wait ....Thanks
            I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Some folks here may know Mark (Wingspan). He bought a set of grips a few weeks back and posted the following on a different forum. It brought a few things to light on the design and function of them and I thought it was important to share.

I've had a set on my TLR for 500-600 miles now. Me no like.

Out of the box, I was a bit less than impressed. They certainly don't look like a grip that costs $18. My old $6 grips certainly look higher quality. I didn't want to judge too soon though, perhaps the comfort was worth a slightly shoddy look, these are just grips afterall and not a "bling" add-on. They're more comfortable that the plain rubber grips I had on the bike. However, they don't seem any more comfortable that the other brands of gel grips I've used.

The big problem from me is wear. After only 500 miles, these already look MUCH worse than the grips I took off and the old grips had approx. 12,000 miles on them. At the rate these are wearing, they'll be off my bike and in the trash in a few weeks.

Right grip:

Left grip:

As I said, these have between 500-600 miles on them. My bike is garaged, so the only sun time has been gas and food stops during rides. They haven't had a canyon dancer put on them or even been in the rain.

I of course sent this same info and pics to the factory and asked them for an explaination. I don't want to sell things that are not going to make my customers happy. So, I talked to Paul, owner of Spider Grips, today and discussed Mark's grips. Two things came of that discussion.

The way he explained it to me is like this. Most dual compound grips are made similar to an egg. Hard on the outside with the gel or soft part in the middle. That's why cosmetically they last longer but the anti-vibration is not as good. But due to the design of their grips, they are made similar to a tire. Soft on the outside with the hard part in the middle. Also like a tire, to get the full performace out of them, you have to scuff them in. Basically, the wear you are seeing on Mark's grips is this scuffing in. His riding style for some reason just scuffed them in faster than normal. Due to pressure, hand movement, riding style, or some other factors. Also, he said that they had changed the compound a lot during development to get to a happy medium between wear and comfort. For most of you, the wear will take a good while to happen, so basically, Mark is the exception rather than the rule.

He was actually pleased to see this come up as Mark is the first street rider he's seen to do this. In the 3 yrs of development and testing, he has only seen one other person that can do this to the grips this fast. That person happens to be a baja racer that they sponsor. Obviously, baja racing is a lot rougher than most street riding or road racing, so that's why it is so suprising. So what he asked me to tell Mark was to keep them on and see how they last. The wear should slow and the performance should get even better. It should take a while to wear them down to where they need replacing. And since Mark is the first street rider he's seen do this, he is going to replace them for free when he needs to replace them.
              Mike

Co-Owner of 2Wheel Tours

Sponsored by: Superbike Supply, Pit-Bull, Sharkskinz, Spidergrips, Tailofthedragon.com, New Enough, Clear Alternatives, XT Racing, and others.

Comment

Thank you for the sharing of info and the update
                PS - got mine. Doubious how much better they'll be, but I'll post once I install them (may be weeks or months)...

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Got my grips over the weekend now just gotta put them on.

Comment

I felt kinda bad when I posted about this in the "Katriders members only discount" forum since I didn't give a discount to you guys. We have an agreement with the factory not to sell them under retail, but I can do free shipping. So that's what I'll do for you guys for the month of May I'll put a post up with the link there too

Mike

Co-Owner of 2Wheel Tours

Comment

BTW, those of you want to purchase them please be sure to put your user name in the remarks of the checkout or your money will be refunded and order cancelled. Thanks everybody
                      Mike

Co-Owner of 2Wheel Tours

Comment

Just got my grips....Thanks
                        I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by KitKat
                          Just got my grips....Thanks
                          No prob KitKat. And thanks to you too
                          Mike

Co-Owner of 2Wheel Tours

Comment

I put up a special in the vendor forum and forgot to post it here. I guess that's why there hasn't been any response

Though the month of May, Katriders members can purchase a set of grips with free shipping. The free shipping will be limited to the 48 states. Here's the link for all the details and ordering info http://www.2wheeltours.com/spiderkat.html

Please Note: Please do not forget to put your katriders user name in the remarks. Those orders without will not be processed and your money refunded.

[/url]
                            Mike

Co-Owner of 2Wheel Tours

Comment

A few folks have taken advantage of the special and I appreciate your business. Just wanted to remind everybody that this will end next Wednesday
                              Mike

Co-Owner of 2Wheel Tours

Comment

Gonna be pulling the special web page down in a little while, so if there are any last minute folks out there, better hurry
                                Mike

Co-Owner of 2Wheel Tours

Comment

Working...
                                X