X

Decals Suck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decals Suck

i have my new (used but in good shape) left side fairing sitting in my dining room and was trying to get the decals off the side. Holy Hell are those things on there. I had the hair dyer going and it was still kicking my arse. I only got a little bit of it off myself and quit. I'm starting to rethink this whole idea.

www.vwvortex.com
    I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
    Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

If it is the new decals all you have to do is get a part started and you can normally peel the rest of it off. At least I could when i did my front ones.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

i haven't tried the right side. the bike is only 1 year old. i got the left side fairing from Ebay....i think it's from a 99. not sure, but you peel a little and it just tears. i'm working on it. lol

www.vwvortex.com
      I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.

Comment

It takes patience darling, they suck, but they do come off. I found the best thing to get the adhesive off was goo gone, and I tried a few different things too.
        They will come off, just take some work.
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

i thought i heard someone say WD-40 as well. will this hurt the paint or anything?

www.vwvortex.com

Comment

I found that the wd didn't do too much, and the goo gone was better. Give it a try, why not?

Comment

two words...HEAT GUN!

Comment

BEAWARE IF YOU USE GOO GONE it works great because of its acidic contents with the orange extract, but that also does a number on your paint, donot let it sit on there and ont put it directly on put it on a rag and wipe on the decal try not to get too much or let it sit on your paint, that stuff will take clear coat off rims like NOTHING trust me ive seen it when i worked at the detailers shop, dj, just get a heat gun, dont get it hott just get it warm and just go nice and slow if not use a razor blade and be careful, are you going to paint the fairing??

Comment

I used a shiat load of goo gone.. nearly an entire HUGE bottle to get the residue off of my stock katana emblems when i replaced them w/ my dragons... never had a problem yet w/ the finish being affected, but I didnt wipe it off each time right away.. and before that I tried soap/water, goof off, and even alittle gasoline and it did ZERO! did the goo gone, man that stuff is great.

Hairdryer and a dull sided pair of tweezers will help you get it started to pull it off too.

Comment

I used fire.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

don't forget time, it's gonna take a lot of that. took me almost three hours to get all mine off.

oh yeah, music is good too.
                      Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

I used a plastic putty knife and a heat gun. A LOT SAFER than a razor. You could even use an old credit card to scrape it.
                        92 Katana 600 Project bike
                        Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

Comment

Don't use a razor blade whatevcer you do. You will scratch the paint - believe me I tried it on my last bike and it left a mark. Only I could tell, but I knew it was there and it always bothered me.

If you have to use something try and old credit card or something similar in plastic. I used my wife's hair dryer to get the stickers (the warning ones) warm and then peeled them off with the help of an old plastic card . Used WD-40 and goo-gone after to remove the glue left behind. You do need patience.

Comment

Heat gun is also way better than a hair dryer like Range said (OMG, I just agreed with Range!)

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
                              Heat gun is also way better than a hair dryer like Range said (OMG, I just agreed with Range!)
                              that's it, you can no longer be a Mod... JK

www.vwvortex.com

Comment

Working...
                              X