Lockhart Phillips universal mirrors on a pre '98

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockhart Phillips universal mirrors on a pre '98

Hey all,
    I'm a lurker from KP (turdferguson), but thought I'd let ya'll in on a mirror idea. I got the idea from someone on here, but it was unclear how easy the mod might be. Well anyways, it was easy.
    I bought the Lockhart Phillips mirrors with the integrated turn signals, and they are tiny. $29 bucks off ebay. They dont' even stick out past the barends, and that's exactly what I needed to pass through my back door when bringing the bike in. The mirrors bolt holes line up perfectly with the originals, only problem is that the bolt actually threads into the mirror, not into the bike. Simple fix...
    The boot can be pulled back on the mirror, I pulled it up and drilled it out so a bolt would pass through it, voila. Then I drilled a hole in the middle so wires could pass through, then it bolts right up. Might I say it is VERY sturdy too, the stalk under the boot is steel. Honestly the mirror will take some getting used to being that it's so much smaller than factory. I have the integrated turn signals just wired up as running lights, looks awesome.
    I'll have some pictures up soon.
    Oh yeah, I've already battle tested the mirror too. Bike fell over in heavy winds two nights after I put them on...AAWWW SH** Well it was laying on the right mirror, thing was at a 90 degree angle. I pulled the bike up, and the mirror popped right back onto the ball socket, light still worked, and wasn't even scratched. Just thought I'd let ya'll know...
    -Dennis
    '01 TL1000R

Smaller sounds dangerous, as even the stock ones doesn't give much of a rear view...
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Yes that is true, it's just making it legal pretty much. Personally I hardly use my mirrors, I just turn my head, so it works for me. I'll get some pictures up asap.
      '01 TL1000R

Comment

here are the much awaited pics
        Attached Files
        '01 TL1000R

Comment

that looks pretty good. Everyones always complaining about the mickey mouse mirrors on the pre's. I didn't know about those mirrors, so I modded some 98+ mirrors for my pre. I must say those look pretty nice, can you see past your shoulders though?

Comment

The mirror surface is shorter with a similar width, but after using the mickey mouse mirrors it seems like an even bigger difference. Its the positioning that makes them difficult to get used to, as they are narrower and lower so my outer fingers are in the view. They actually work out well for me, when I'm going slow I just turn my head anyways...when I'm tucked in these mirrors are lower so they provide a better view than stock.
            '01 TL1000R

Comment

Those look cool as all get out! nice job !

I didnt think I liked the integrated signals on the 2005 gixxers, and still not sure if I do.. but you're look pretty darn cool !

Comment

*ahem -- clears his throat*

What did they cost? and are they intended to be used primarily as turn signals?

Comment

Looks great, now i know what I'm doing for mirrors

Comment

I got them for $29 on ebay, and they are labeled as turn signals but I just use them as running lights. As you can see they aren't obnoxiously bright, so it looks pretty good being on all the time. Also, I've actually gotten used to them, and the visibility is almost as good as stock. It just takes awhile to get them positioned just right.
                    '01 TL1000R

Comment

looks cool! there goes another alternative for the pre98 guys...would look even better with it painted to match
                      Hello World.

Comment

Working...
                      X