X

Plastic "Katana" emblem removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic "Katana" emblem removal

I have searched and found numerous posts on how to remove the decals. But my '99 has the raised plastic emblems. I want to remove them. Does anyone know of anything to use to remove the tape backing and adhesive from the fairing without destroying the fairing? PLEASE HELP!

I have used high-test fishing line to do that on cars. Wrap it around one hand, leave some slack (big enough for the emblem) then wrap around the other hand. Start at one end and pull the line through the backside of the emblem. It should cut through the doublesided tape with little work. then just remove the left over adhesive and tape from the bike like you would a sticker.

Good luck!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

+1 That's generally the way I've debadged cars before. Another option is to soak the badge in goo-gone then use a credit card to gently remove the badge.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

will goo gone get rid of all the 3m material on the fairings?

Comment

Originally posted by dvibbert
          will goo gone get rid of all the 3m material on the fairings?
          The goo gone should loosen the adhesive... you'll still need to scrape/rub/pick the foam bits off. I've also used goof off, but you need to be really careful with that stuff as it will eat the paint if not completely cleaned off.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I got it done. It was no easy chore though. I appreciate the suggestions.

Comment

Also WD-40 works really well. Had to pull a really crappy label off a storage bin and it came right off. Also to get the decals for the warnings I used a hair dryer. Wish I would have realized the WD-40 trick though!!

Comment

Originally posted by teddy
                I have used high-test fishing line to do that on cars. Wrap it around one hand, leave some slack (big enough for the emblem) then wrap around the other hand. Start at one end and pull the line through the backside of the emblem. It should cut through the doublesided tape with little work. then just remove the left over adhesive and tape from the bike like you would a sticker.

Good luck!

Thats what I did to get mine off, but I didn't use fishing line, I used some string we had in the shop. Bascially just sawed it off, and then took forever to peal the crap off after words even using the goo b gone.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

That's the good thing about WD-40. It breaks down the adhesive and keeps you from having to clean the goop off. Whatever works for yas!

Comment

Working...
                  X