X

Electrical question- strobe light to constant

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical question- strobe light to constant

ok so i was at autozone getting everything for an oil change for my car when i found some strobe white neons for 1.49$ so i couldnt pass up on it since i have been looking for some white leds for the tail chop. so is there any way to convert to a constant light? gut tells me no since if memory serves strobes operate by discharging a lot of energy at once to power the light. but i also remember that neon and florescents work by a large start power but then a constant... any who is it possible?

is there any circuitry included with them? if not it would be hard to do much with unless you wnat to build your own support circuity. you can build a basic tank circuit with a faster time constant to charge and discharge the cap that fires the bulb fast enough to make it look constant, but not sure how long the bulb would last doing that. Or, I have 3 or 4 9KV transformers @45mA put an inverter on your bike and that transformer will make those puppies glow!!!! for a few milliseconds anyway LOL
    If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

hey SlytlyDeranged, i live right next to Somerset, PA.

www.vwvortex.com
      I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
      Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Comment

Cool, we're neighbors, if you dont let a few pesky state lines get in the way LOL

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

do you want a disco bike dude?
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

it does come with an outside transformer box that flashes both at the same charge. however very bright. i might have to go with the discount thing but i figured hey for a 1.50 if i mess them up then who cares.

Comment

I would be willing to bet that in that transformer box, there is a timing circuit, pretty easy to change it(usually just a cap an a resisitor) to make it flash faster but not sure if you would be able to change the time constant enough to where the flashing was fast enough to look solid. If I knew exactly what lights you had, I could build you the support circuity you need to make it solid. In all honesty though, you would probably be cheaper to just buy the LED's.
              Here are 100 white leds for 25.00

More than enough to do what you want, plus make another set of lights to sell on here or ebay and get your money back

Comment

here is a picture of the circuitry. its one heavey duty cap. which is why i was thinking the same, that it would be cheaper to find some leds. but i just had a thought. i remember someone talking about having flashing tail lights when stopping. would this be a good idea to add these into the tail light to do the same thing? cause i hate having things go to waste and they arent going on my car.

Comment

That would do it. actually all you really need is the big cap you see there and a potentiometeror rheostat(any variable resistor) to control the speed of the flash, and the leds.

Comment

Working...
                  X