X

Painting gas tank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting gas tank?

I've flatblacked everything except for the front fender and gas tank so now I have a couple questions....
    How do I remove the Suzuki sticker on sides of the tank since they are clear coated over at the factory? Do I still prep and paint the same now that I'll be painting metal instead of plastic? Thanks.
    96 Katana 600
    97 4 door Blazer LT
    03 Honda Pilot EXL
    sigpic

I guess nobody has rattle canned a tank themselves?
    96 Katana 600
    97 4 door Blazer LT
    03 Honda Pilot EXL
    sigpic

Comment

i used high build primer and the same paint and clear, came out good and no issues.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

Why not cut the bitches out with a razor ? You're gonna sand and paint over them anyway , right ? But I'm not good at that sort of thing , so .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

good point md, i took mine down to metal anyhow.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

the stickers will sand off like the paint does. if you take a blade to them you'll probably scratch the s**t out of the tank at that spot. maybe a heat gun can get them off if you get the clear off with sandpaper?
            1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

They are under the clear coat, so you'll need something to break that first... like sanding... or oven cleaner.

We left the decals on the kat's tank... gives them a ghosted look I think...
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've got one of those rubber wheel drill atachments that are for removing stickers so I'll give that a shot.
                96 Katana 600
                97 4 door Blazer LT
                03 Honda Pilot EXL
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                  They are under the clear coat, so you'll need something to break that first... like sanding... or oven cleaner.

Did you sand the stickers along with the tank so the paint would stick? Got any pics?
                  96 Katana 600
                  97 4 door Blazer LT
                  03 Honda Pilot EXL
                  sigpic

Comment

the stickers are under the clear, I guess they did that for protection from the gas, but you can just sand them right off when you prep, just make sure you feather out all the edges nice....

Comment

Originally posted by TBFGhost
                      the stickers are under the clear, I guess they did that for protection from the gas, but you can just sand them right off when you prep, just make sure you feather out all the edges nice....
                      I was wondering how the ghosted stickers look but more than likely I'll just take it all the way down and just paint it flat black.
                      96 Katana 600
                      97 4 door Blazer LT
                      03 Honda Pilot EXL
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKACIDEVIL

Did you sand the stickers along with the tank so the paint would stick? Got any pics?
                        Yes, since they are cleared, we just wet sanded them as part of the tank. I don't seem to have any pictures that the stickers are visible in...

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

I don't seem to have any pictures that the stickers are visible in...
                          I can see the outline of the sticker in THAT pic ....
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            I don't seem to have any pictures that the stickers are visible in...
                            I can see the outline of the sticker in THAT pic ....
                            doesn't really show what he asked for...
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I took mine down to the metal with paint remover, and they came right off.

Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X