X

Wheel polishing - metal grain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel polishing - metal grain?

So I stripped my wheels, sanded 320, 600 and 800 grit then proceeded to polish. The wheels are nice a shiny and I can see my reflection in them, but up close it looks as if the alloy has a grain to it? Anybody else seen this or do I just have to keep polishing or perhaps hit them with some 1500 grit to get a mirror like finish?
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

I can't believe you sanded them!! When I stripped mine with aircraft paint stripper, they were smooth enough to polish out with Mothers. Could be a difference in years though I suppose. Anywho...try going to 1000, then 1500, and finish off with 2000 if you want that extra little 'zing' in them. If you jump to far from grit to grit, you'll never get all of the scratches out, it should always be a gradual procession in grit to get the best finish possible.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Thanx. My wheels had very tiny grooves in them from final machining at the factory. Couldn't see it with the paint on, but once stripped it was very noticeable. I figured out my problem, I was running the buff at too high a speed and the compound wasn't cutting very well. Slowed the buff speed down and everything is roses.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
      X