Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Are both bulbs supposed to be lit on highbeam?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are both bulbs supposed to be lit on highbeam?

I noticed last night that only one of my headlights are on when I'm put it on highbeam but both are on when I put it on low beam. Also my headlights are completely misaligned, my low beam shines the ground may 2-3 meters in front of me so I had to ride home with the highbeam

Just wondering if both bulbs should be lit on high beam. If it is then my first assumption is that one of the bub's high beam filaments is toast and I'll have to replace the bulb. If it is the case then I'll probably invest in some sylvanna silverstars and replace them both. I sincerely hope it is not a burnt out wire else its going to be more troublesome to fix.

I havent looked at the manual on how to realign the headlights yet, I'm assuming its a pretty simple procedure but if there is anything i should know or should watch out for, please let me know.
    thx!

ooh yea, its a 2002 Katana 750

As far as I know, both should be coming on. I'd go check, but theres no battery
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

maybe your highbeam light is broke? go check
      Hello World.

Comment

while i'm on the subject of replacing bulbs, if anyone knows a place cheaper than candian tire to get the sylvanna sylverstars (be it online or not) please feel free to post where

Comment

Yes, both bulbs should be lit in North America and continental Europe on the 98+ Kats in either position.

I have a set of spare stock bulbs if you want them... $1.50 plus shipping.

Use pricegrabber.com to find Sylvania bulbs cheaply.

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah, Crappy tire has them for about $27 apiece

as for aligning them...get on a level surface...there is an ajustment knob inside....shine it on a flat wall

Comment

Thats a nice thing about Kats, is low beam u have both bulbs lit, so that way people dont stop you at an intersection and say Hey, ur headlight is out!

Comment

actually someone did, that's how i found out one of my high beam headlights were out!

Well, i replaced the bulb with an old sylvania cool blue bulb i had lying around. It's already bulging and I stupidly touched the glass so chances are that bulb isnt going to last much longer but at least I know that it works now. Plus the cool blue looks much nicer than the stock. I cant wait to get my hands on some sylverstars

Comment

the Sylverstars are great bulbs...worth it in my opinion...thats what I ran in my Kat

Comment

FYI too... when one goes out, the other usually isnt far behind.

Comment

if you have you dog bones on you kat (other than stock), it will most likely change the headlight angle. that might be part of your problem, maybe not.
                      if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

To change the angle of your headlights is easy.

There are some dials underneath the dash. One set moves the lights up/down, the other moves them left/right.

Pretty easy.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Maybe this is ignorant of me...but I thought as a safety design..when your low beams go out, the bulbs wiring automatically defaults to high..

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                            Maybe this is ignorant of me...but I thought as a safety design..when your low beams go out, the bulbs wiring automatically defaults to high..

No, there is no intelligence built into the lighting system on the Kats. You switch the switch, it changes the current path to a different wire, to trigger the other beam's filament. There simply are no electronics involved.

Originally posted by MIBagentQ
                            Well, i replaced the bulb with an old sylvania cool blue bulb i had lying around. It's already bulging and I stupidly touched the glass so chances are that bulb isnt going to last much longer but at least I know that it works now.
                            You can clean bulbs that have been touched and have fingerprint or other oils on them by wiping them down with toilet paper soaked in rubbing alcohol. The alcohol will remove the oil & salts (primarily onto the towel), and then evaporate.
                            Q: you said the bulb is already bulging... you mean the bulb glass is already disformed? If so, yank it out again and replace it ASAP -- the contents of H4 bulbs are under pressure and if the bulb breaks, it will fling glass all over the inside of your headlight casing -- a real PIA to get out (and it may damage the reflector and/or in the process of bursting, especially if hot when it goes).

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am having the same problem my right is off on low beam I just in stalled Silver stars.

Check out www.Atozhometheater.com

Comment

Working...
                              X