• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh mod done

OK, I completed this mod on my Katana
    I used the gutter mesh from Home Depot. $6
    and the Goop from Advance Auto $4

1.Use tinsnips to cut the pieces down to size. Then place the piece over the hole, take a magic marker and trace about an inch around the hole, onto the piece, then trim it down from there. Makes it easier to handle the piece while folding it to mold.

2. Wear gloves, my little fingers are raw from the mesh.

3. I used a shop light to help the drying process. One of those big yellow spot light shoplights.. big wattage... lots of heat.

4. When I put the piece over the hole, I would use some pliers and carefully tap the wire around the hole to mold it.

5. Snip some "darts" into the mesh so it molds easier. Especially around changes of angles. (Sorry hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean when you start doing it)

6. After you get the molding part down.. it doesn't take long, maybe 2 hours for the whole bike, not including drying time.

Here is the Katana before...
    Attached Files

and here is after...

MUCH better!! 8)
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks great. How big is the spacing in the mesh? I'm going to be doing that soon. I have some plastic gutter mesh with 1/4" spacing. Is that too big

Comment

Originally posted by Zukiman
        Looks great. How big is the spacing in the mesh? I'm going to be doing that soon. I have some plastic gutter mesh with 1/4" spacing. Is that too big

Thanks.

Yeah this is about 1/4 inch spacing.. but I'm concerned the plastic one may melt or wrap with high heat from the motor...

just thinking, maybe not..

Comment

Originally posted by TheKatsMeow
          Originally posted by Zukiman

Thanks.

Yeah this is about 1/4 inch spacing.. but I'm concerned the plastic one may melt or wrap with high heat from the motor...

just thinking, maybe not..
          Thanks TKM. I did not think about the heat factor. I think to be safe I'll get steel mesh instead.

Comment

Looks great, good job!!!
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Great job. I love this mod on a Kat.. really sets it apart! Nice choice w/ the home depot gutter mesh too. works great !!!

Comment

looks good

www.vwvortex.com
                I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
                Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Comment

Thanks everyone.. I like it more every day!

Comment

hmm For some reson i cant see the JPG pics anyone hve that prob if so how do i fixs it ?
                    http://www.putfile.com/omegajireh AKA ONYOUR6 ......If you think education is expensive, wait till you see the price of ignorance!

Comment

that looks great on there. well done.
                      if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Something I've always wondered about this mod: do you completely fill in the left side hole over the idle speed adjuster screw, or make a little hole in the mesh to allow access to it? I know you don't need to adjust idle speed often (I've maybe done it once or twice in 10,000 miles), but it would be a pain to have to pull the fairing if you did...

Comment

Depending on the size mesh you use, you can easily fit a screwdriver thru the mesh if necessary.

Comment

looks a whole lot nicer!
                            Hello World.

Comment

Anyone got pics of a pre 98 with this mod? kinda curious how it would look
                              If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

Working...
                              X