X

stripped bar ends, HELP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped bar ends, HELP

ok guys got a 00 kat, and i wana swap out the bar ends but the screws will not budge, i tried penatrating fluid and that didn't help- they started to strip the heads. any ideas???
    2000 Katana 600

Try going to an auto shop. There is a tool that is a screw driver and upon impact from the back end it pushes down onto the screw and turns by itself at the same time. Ask them to use it or you can probably buy one from sears.

Comment

hmm cool i'll check it out thanks
      2000 Katana 600

Comment

Put your #2 Phillips bit screw driver into the screw, and whack it a few times with your favorite hammer.

Or are the kats the allen heads? I can't remember... I've got both kinds here. If it's an allen head, put the short side of the allen wrench in, then smack away.

In fact, if it's allens, and you have a set of allen sockets, it might be much easier to do it that way...
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If yer swaping out yer bar ends, then just use vise grips on the ends that are one there now. twist and they will loosen the screw. I stripped my stock screws when I tried to get mine off, I just used the vise grips and they came right off. I then put on new allen screws.. simple..

Comment

Originally posted by AzCyco
            If yer swaping out yer bar ends, then just use vise grips on the ends that are one there now. twist and they will loosen the screw. I stripped my stock screws when I tried to get mine off, I just used the vise grips and they came right off. I then put on new allen screws.. simple..
            ah good idea, thanks guys! if all else fails my dad does have the dandy little tool to get the screws out
            2000 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by 00RedGsx600f
              Try going to an auto shop. There is a tool that is a screw driver and upon impact from the back end it pushes down onto the screw and turns by itself at the same time. Ask them to use it or you can probably buy one from sears.
              Impact driver . Quite handy tool .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                Originally posted by 00RedGsx600f
                Impact driver . Quite handy tool .
                Thats the name!! Indeed they are handy 8)

Comment

Been there, done that.

+1- Impact driver.

If that fails, try gripping head with vice grip set TIGHT. If head breaks off, bar end will at least come off. Use pen. fluid, let it sit for hours, then try again.

If bolt breaks off, drill it out and use a self-tapping screw, stainless, just a little larger than stock -you will probably have to go with a standard, not metric, but no worries, as it is tapping it's self into the plate, anyway.
                  "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

You can get an impact driver for like 10 bucks at an auto-parts store.

It's a good investment.
                    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                    18v Rigid Drill
                    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

got 'em off using vise grips worked perfectly thanks guys!
                      2000 Katana 600

Comment

btw. any idea where i can find a replacement screw for one of the bar ends? mine's a bit bent out of shape after taking the brunt of an impact

Comment

I consider an impact driver a must have tool if one plans to work on a motorcycle!

Comment

Originally posted by zvadim
                            btw. any idea where i can find a replacement screw for one of the bar ends? mine's a bit bent out of shape after taking the brunt of an impact
                            Take the other one to Home Depot and find one like it . Should be fairly easy .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
                              I consider an impact driver a must have tool if one plans to work on a motorcycle!
                              Or a Ford...a Honda....Dodge....and the list goes on..
                              Currently Kat-less....but still in love with them.

And as I hit 6th gear, I forgot what she said...

Comment

Working...
                              X