X

Cleaning the Engine Block

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the Engine Block

Does anyone know what I can use as a cleaning agent to clean my engine block? It is painted black so I have to be very careful as to what chemical I use, so the paint doesn't come off.

Also I want to clean the frame and it is the same situation. I want it really really clean so it doesn't get dirty after a few rides. I have the engine out so it will be easy access to both the engine block and frame.

thanks in advance!
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

I like the Honda cleaner for painted area's. It is a spray.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

believ it or not I use Dow bathroom cleaner. It really work just as good as the block cleaners from napa and costs halph as much.
      PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
      The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Purple Muclse cleaner . Breaks up oil and grime GREAT . Just spray it on , wait a few minutes , and hose it off . I TRY to only spray it on certain area though , and not all over the place .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
          Purple Muclse cleaner . Breaks up oil and grime GREAT . Just spray it on , wait a few minutes , and hose it off . I TRY to only spray it on certain area though , and not all over the place .
          x2 I used that stuff on my yamaha to clean it up b/4 I sold it. Stuff worked out great !

Comment

Since my engine is painted with a gloss black I've had great success using plain ol' soap and water. For a while I used S100. It worked, but no better than soap and water. MAin thing is to keep up with it and don't allow dirt and grime to build up.

Mike
            '01 Bandit 1200
            '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

I go with something called simple green, it works great on anything and everything, i've used it on some painted things and it didn't seem to hurt them any.

Comment

I used Corey. He does a pretty good job.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Well i have been painting cars for 5 years and any store bought cleaner usually will not harm the paint. This is what i use, Castrol SUPERCLEAN consentrate straight, spray some on there and let it sit for a few minutes, the use a power washer and wash it off then reaply and was off again. same will work for the frame.

Comment

Orange oil here.. Try to be friendly to the earth..
                    but then I wash off all the oil don't i??
                    I used cheap degreaser and tooth brush for the tough parts. I actually used a spray bottle with clean water to "hose" off the engine (great for getting those hard to reach spots). I used my oil catch pan to collect a lot of it.
                    That I bottled up and will send to the city HAZMAT collection..

Niether stained the paint..

Comment

Hey,
                      if possible, than use S100 (If you can get it in the USA...)!! Spray it on, wait a few minutes and then hose it of. If needed use a brush before hosing.
                      Greetings from north of Germany
                      wosaka

Jesus says: Life is a cross.....
                      Odin says: Life is a hammer....

Better Odin than Jesus!!

Comment

409 works well.

Comment

Working...
                        X