X

Stupid Do-It Yourselfer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Do-It Yourselfer

So I wanted to fix the scratches on my bike from the previous owner. I order a thing of touch up paint from cyclesurge.com and sanded out the roughness in the damage. I removed the decals and went to paint but thought it looked absolutely horrible with the tiny hand brush they give you.

So I went to pep boys... and got a can of spray paint that looked close. Well needless to say it looks terrible. Is there an easy way to strip off the spray from pepboys and do a nice job using ColorRite's Spray paint which might ACTUALLY match?

Sand
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
      Sand
      paper

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

i was afraid you'd say that. i guess i probably need to do most of the fairing then, and then prime, paint, and clear it?

Comment

You can try to blend the ColorRite with the original paint. It requires painting the damaged/affected area, then taping off an area larger than the repair and wetsanding with a high grit. With luck, the colors will match better.

But....if you want to ensure that the colors match, yes, you'll need to paint the whole fairing.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

ouch....

Comment

I'd go for doing the whole fairing since you sound new to this, and you should get a single stage paint so you don't have to clear the basecoat. Try asking a aftermarket car part store ( a good one not a chain store) or a dealer ship where you can buy paint for a gun. That's where you would want to go. The'll have the color in the computer to match.
              2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

I just touched up my Kat, fixing the scratches from the previous owner. Took me two times to get it right, even after consulting a couple friends of mine who were body shop professionals. Here are my 2 cents:

Sand sand sand -- wet sanding. Yes wet -- trickling water while using very fine grit wet/dry sand paper (like 2000 grit or finer) -- depending on how much materials you want to remove. Then clean and let dry.

Spray paint with your choice of color (good luck matching the exact color). Brush will never work. Multiple coats but light coat and let dry between coats. Saturate but avoid runoff during the final coats. Then spray with clear coat. More multiple coats but light coat and let dry in between coats. Each coat is done at once in the entire area which is to be painted. Compressed-air spray gun will yield significantly better results than spray cans.

After letting the paint dry (for like about a couple of days), clean, polish, and apply protectant (wax, etc.). Patience is absolutely necessary.

Comment

what color is it? I've got some 2003 yellow from colorrite I'll let go on the cheap, well, cheap compared to colorite...
                  None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                  -Robert Morrison

"
                  well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

you can probably get away with doing a smaller area, rather than the whole fairing and have it look fine. for instance, sand and paint (mask off the rest of the plastic, of course) an area between folds or curves in the bodywork. that way it'll be real hard to tell that the colors don't quite match as the plastic bends will hide it in the light

do both sides and i doubt anyone would be the wiser!

definitely sand it and prime it. clear is up to you but you will probably need to for it to match the rest of the body
                    1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Or just take it off and have a paint shop do it!! Just take them the paint from colorite

Comment

Working...
                      X