I want your opinions on caliper paint!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• koncsolt
    replied
    If you are going to paint the calipers try this stuff, I've used it, it really works and is durable as hell.

Leave a comment:

• StevieB
    replied
    Re: I want your opinions on caliper paint!!

Originally posted by reconstyle
    ...I don't care what you guys say, I asked for an opinion, so give me it!!!
    Well, okay...

You're a moron!

(Just kidding, but I couldn't help myself!)

Leave a comment:

• Intermision
    replied
    If you use chapstick you can easily apply it evenly.

Leave a comment:

• painlesspics
    replied
    Originally posted by Mojoe
    Originally posted by DoyleDee
    I know painters use it on their skin so paint doesn't stick.
    but today the paints are much stronger. I won't even mix my paint without a mask. U-POL is especially strong.
    Just a quick question... are you using an organic vapor filter? If not you really aren't stopping any chemicals. HEPA filters are really only good for particulates from sanding and other similar processes.

Leave a comment:

• reconstyle
    replied
    it is stupid to do this today, but I remember when I was kid around the body shop....both my dad's and my uncle's....as well as a couple of other I knew of.....the norm was coating your nostrils with veseline to catch most of the fumes. 30+ yrs ago the masks were kinda crappy. didn't fit well.....and when you are moving around a car with a spray gun in one hand and dragging a hose with another, you couldn't be fiddlin' with a mask that didn't fit your face. real bad for the health.

but today the paints are much stronger. I won't even mix my paint without a mask. U-POL is especially strong.
    Crap, well there goes about 10 years of my life...

Leave a comment:

• Mojoe
    replied
    it is stupid to do this today, but I remember when I was kid around the body shop....both my dad's and my uncle's....as well as a couple of other I knew of.....the norm was coating your nostrils with veseline to catch most of the fumes. 30+ yrs ago the masks were kinda crappy. didn't fit well.....and when you are moving around a car with a spray gun in one hand and dragging a hose with another, you couldn't be fiddlin' with a mask that didn't fit your face. real bad for the health.

Leave a comment:

• DoyleDee
    replied
    Try vaseline jelly. Just use a small modelers brush to apply it. I know painters use it on their skin so paint doesn't stick. The paint dries to the top of it and the jelly just wipes off.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    you wait until it dries.

you can also get "liquid tape" made just for this purpose. it is a bit pricey though. it is cheaper to buy liquid latex. I got this tip from an air brush magazine. it was part of the same aticle that showed a really neat special effect where you paint a base color, then cover it with glue, then spray another color over the glue while it is still wet. then you drag your fingers across it. it gives the effect that the paint is ripping away under speed. it was done on a helmet and looked awesome.
    Cool, I didn't think there were that many uses for elmers glue. I thought it was only good for it's high nutritional value.

Leave a comment:

• chinto
    replied
    Yea, I think I'm going to go that route, I will try mojoe's method with the elmers glue.

I'll snap some pics, I'll probably get to it this weekend sometime.

Mojoe, do I wait for the glue to dry? Or do I start spraying as soon as I paint the glue on?
    you wait until it dries.

you can also get "liquid tape" made just for this purpose. it is a bit pricey though. it is cheaper to buy liquid latex. I got this tip from an air brush magazine. it was part of the same aticle that showed a really neat special effect where you paint a base color, then cover it with glue, then spray another color over the glue while it is still wet. then you drag your fingers across it. it gives the effect that the paint is ripping away under speed. it was done on a helmet and looked awesome.
    I have an airbrush video that shows that same technique using a silicone....also done on a helmet. I've never tried it, but the end result was cool.

Leave a comment:

• Mojoe
    replied
    Yea, I think I'm going to go that route, I will try mojoe's method with the elmers glue.

Mojoe, do I wait for the glue to dry? Or do I start spraying as soon as I paint the glue on?
    you wait until it dries.

Leave a comment:

• StevieB
    replied
    If you want to be subtle, paint the LETTERING gold and leave the rest of the caliper black.

Leave a comment:

• professorman
    replied
    I am no painter, but I think if to you wait for it to dry it wont run, and it will be in tact when you remove it.

Leave a comment:

• reconstyle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• professorman
    replied
    I think it would look really nice in gold with the TOKIO lettering. Post up some pics as you part take the job. I am thinking of painting mine as well.

Leave a comment:

• KatanaSoldier
    replied
    Go for it. I think it will look nice with that emblem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X