No announcement yet.
X

I want your opinions on caliper paint!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want your opinions on caliper paint!!

Alright, before you guys start, I know the bike is mine, and I should do whatever I want to it blah blah blah who cares.

My bike is all black. The paint looks solid black from a distance, but it you look VERY closely it has a little bit of metallic gold it in not really enough to tell it just looks metallic black from any further than 6 inches away. I have the GSXF emblems in which the "F" is gold. I have the ohlins rear shock with 2 gold resivours. I like black and gold, but not TOO much gold, just very subtle.

Do you guys think that painting the calipers gold is too much?

I WISH I could paint them gold, but leave the "tokico" raised letters in black, but that's too much work and attention to detail for me.

Be honest, brutally honest, I don't care what you guys say, I asked for an opinion, so give me it!!!
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

i think that would look pretty good.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Yeah why not.. I think calipers look better in gold.
      In fact I think dirty gold calipers look better than dirty black ones..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        Yeah why not.. I think calipers look better in gold.
        In fact I think dirty gold calipers look better than dirty black ones..
        huh? It's harder to tell when the black ones get dirty...?

While I'm asking, anyone have any idea how to keep the raised letters black? Other than putting tape over it, then using an exacto knife to cut around the letters....
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle

While I'm asking, anyone have any idea how to keep the raised letters black? Other than putting tape over it, then using an exacto knife to cut around the letters....
          if you are steady with your hand, apply some elmers glue (the white stuff every kid has eaten in kindergarten) with a small paintbrush just before you paint. then when the paint is dry, carefully remove the glue with an exacto or your fingers by rubbing it.

vaseline works even better, but a little more difficult to evenly spread on. you really don't need much.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

i would paint the whole caliper gold and then once it dries, I would touch up the lettering with a fine brush and black paint. Then clear coat the whole caliper. Let it cure for more than recomended time. Brake fluid wreaks havoc on fresh paint quickly.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Go for it. I think it will look nice with that emblem.
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

I think it would look really nice in gold with the TOKIO lettering. Post up some pics as you part take the job. I am thinking of painting mine as well.
                Roops Photography|facebook|
                03 GSXR 1000
                04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Yea, I think I'm going to go that route, I will try mojoe's method with the elmers glue.

I'll snap some pics, I'll probably get to it this weekend sometime.

Mojoe, do I wait for the glue to dry? Or do I start spraying as soon as I paint the glue on?

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill

Comment

I am no painter, but I think if to you wait for it to dry it wont run, and it will be in tact when you remove it.
                    Roops Photography|facebook|
                    03 GSXR 1000
                    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

If you want to be subtle, paint the LETTERING gold and leave the rest of the caliper black.
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Yea, I think I'm going to go that route, I will try mojoe's method with the elmers glue.

Mojoe, do I wait for the glue to dry? Or do I start spraying as soon as I paint the glue on?
                        you wait until it dries.

you can also get "liquid tape" made just for this purpose. it is a bit pricey though. it is cheaper to buy liquid latex. I got this tip from an air brush magazine. it was part of the same aticle that showed a really neat special effect where you paint a base color, then cover it with glue, then spray another color over the glue while it is still wet. then you drag your fingers across it. it gives the effect that the paint is ripping away under speed. it was done on a helmet and looked awesome.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe

you wait until it dries.

you can also get "liquid tape" made just for this purpose. it is a bit pricey though. it is cheaper to buy liquid latex. I got this tip from an air brush magazine. it was part of the same aticle that showed a really neat special effect where you paint a base color, then cover it with glue, then spray another color over the glue while it is still wet. then you drag your fingers across it. it gives the effect that the paint is ripping away under speed. it was done on a helmet and looked awesome.
                          I have an airbrush video that shows that same technique using a silicone....also done on a helmet. I've never tried it, but the end result was cool.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                            you wait until it dries.

Cool, I didn't think there were that many uses for elmers glue. I thought it was only good for it's high nutritional value.

Comment

Try vaseline jelly. Just use a small modelers brush to apply it. I know painters use it on their skin so paint doesn't stick. The paint dries to the top of it and the jelly just wipes off.
                              Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Working...
                              X