X

Question about painting parts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about painting parts

So for a while I have been contimplating painting the grab bar and the front fender on my bike to match the Pearl Vigor Blue of the fairings as the black seems a little out of place on a blue/white bike, but have 2 questions first. I have painted before so I know i need to sand them down to get rid of the gloss, but here are my questions:

1) Is the grab bar powder coated or painted? I'm assuming with how easily it scratches, that it must be painted, but if its powder coated, has anyone had problems with spray paint not sticking to it? I do ride 2-up so occassionally, some actually uses it (sissies!)

2) With the front fender, has anyone painted theirs and had problems with paint chipping? Since its always getting hit by bugs, sand, rocks, etc. I don't want to paint it then watch the paint chip or peel off since it will look like crap. I want it hold up well. Are there any tricks to painting it besides many coats of clear? SInce its not the super flexible automotive bumper plastic, I know I don't really need any plasticizer or anything.
    Who brought the retarded kid?

1. I don't know what is on the grab rail but it was hella hard to strip! I don't advise touching it personally. I think it will chip and scratch too easy.

2. I bug bombed my fender and barely clear coated it. After nearly a year of daily riding it still looked good!
    (no wax)

Comment

Working...
    X