Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

what parts do i need to make my own undertail?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what parts do i need to make my own undertail?

heard home depot has it all, but exactly do i need from them?

depends - what are you making it out of?

If you're doing fiberglass - which is probably easiest - then you just need:

Fiberglass sheets
    Hardner
    Resin
    somethign to make the mold out of - which could be anything from wood to styrafoam.
    97 Katana 600
    [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Are you maybe talking about a fender eliminator.....which would allow you to get rid of the rear fender/license plate bracket/turn signal mounts/reflector mounts?

If that is the case, to follow the path a lot of people do, you need a saw or dremel or other cut-off tool, a couple of angle brackets, and a couple of machine screws with nuts.

If you are talking about the super cool fiber glass undertail, then asking what you need indicates that you are not ready to build one.

I think we're talking fender eliminator.....
      -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
      -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

I would go with wood.. ( )
        I found that;
        a, under vacuum the Styrofoam deformed.
        b. some VOC compounds leeched through the plastic I had wrapped the Styrofoam in and dissolved it a little.

Also for the size of an undertail you need more glass than you can get at Home Depot. Better to try a boat repair place.
        Basically make (out of wood) what you want the undertail to look like. Sand it super smooth. Coat it in a release (vasoline) then lay the fiberglass, bag it and suck out the air with a vacuum. Or make the undertail out of wood, mold it using plaster (use vasoline so the wood pulls out) then coat the plaster mold with vasoline and lay the glass inside the mold. Using this technique you have to make sure the inside surface of the mold is as smooth as you can get it and that there are no features that "wrap" around the wood. (follow?) Do a search on the internet. Two things to look for are, people who make fiberglass costumes (stormtroopers and such) and people who make custom car audio parts. Speaker enclosures etc.. I found they know the short cuts and have good step by step instructions.

Comment

Wow BP that is a lot of Vasoline you list there... why do you have so much vasoline on hand ???

Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
            Wow BP that is a lot of Vasoline you list there... why do you have so much vasoline on hand ???
            Easy there Mr. Diamond plate butt....
            I'm only repeating what the instructions say..
            I used axle grease.. didn't work as good...

Don't make me sic Nero on you!!

Comment

steel or ally sheet then pollish it up like chrome!! that will look the muts nuts and all ya need is a angle grinder to shape it and a drill to hole it up....... poifect
              i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Or you can use zip ties and old soap powder boxes!

Then you can get your Blue Peter Badge!

Comment

or lollypop sticks glued together a little pva glue should hold them.... adding tissue paper will give a cool effect then you can stick on a couple of googly eyes and a pinch of glitter and.... bobs yer uncle!
                  i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Originally posted by bigbike-r
                    or lollypop sticks glued together a little pva glue should hold them.... adding tissue paper will give a cool effect then you can stick on a couple of googly eyes and a pinch of glitter and.... bobs yer uncle!
                    I like it!!

Comment

ok sorry, not an undertail, a fender eliminator kit. thanks mharrison but what about the tuning signals?

Comment

For turn signals, use L brackets. Or do a search on Ebay for a creese bracket.
                        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                        -Terence

Comment

eb770 check out this post:

Nuzzi used the stock license plate bracket and bent and drilled it for the signals. You can use the factory signals, or get some smaller ones from eBay. I've got the Competition Werks brand smaller cat-eye shape signals and have been happy with them.
                          -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                          -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

thanks guys, big help

Comment

Working...
                            X