X

Problems with color rite paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with color rite paint

I bought a full set of touch up paint for my bike from color rite that includes the yellow base, a grey primer and the clear coat. Well after doing some test pieces and trying it out I'm having a really hard time to get the colors to match. It seems like it's not even close and the yellow base coat is much darker than the rest of my paint. I realize it won't be perfect because of fading but the colors don't even seem close. The yellow I got from color rite is almost an orangish color when dry or a very dark yellow where the rest of the bike is a lighter color. Is there something I'm missing? I ordered the colors for a 2002 katana according to their website and I've followed their directions.

2002 Katana 600
    1999 Ford F150

I'm not a painter, but I have been reading a lot on the topic, as I'm about to paint parts on my bike..

Q: did you use a Urethane Reducer ??

Maybe your paint is too thick and your not reducing the paint down enough to color match. You might have to practice your spraying techniques(sp?).. maybe too much paint, too close to said part..etc..

Just some ideas...

Comment

Well the paints that i bought are in the 2oz jars with the brush so I was just trying to brush it on. If I were to buy a reducer from color rite would I be able to use it with this paint? I have a friend that has a spray gun setup so maybe I can go that route with it.

2002 Katana 600
      1999 Ford F150

Comment

Oh, I thought your were spraying your color(s) on..
        Well, here is the link to color rites help page, which im sure you've read. If not, good tips..

Color rites tips

Comment

i have '03 yellow kat and ordered some touch up paint from color rite. the color was almost spot on. my vin tag says it was manufactured in '02. my title says it's an '03. color rite shows different yellows for '02 and '03. maybe you have an '03 yellow? just a thought.
          carpe diem

Comment

Well it says it's a 2002 on the title and the way the graphics were on the bike before I took them off it definitly is a 2002 (the blue/yellow graphics with silver lower cowl and yellow tail)

2002 Katana 600
            1999 Ford F150

Comment

I just read, on two off site forums, that people had similar problems w/ the touch up pen being too dark.. So it's not someting you got hosed on. Maybe it's those pens..?? Maybe they sit on a shelf too long and the piant pigments get all wacky??

Best thing to do is complain, not that it will do you any good. But maybe in the future they'll do something diff. w/ those pens..

I was going to order some paint from them.. But I havent really read anything good about their paint(s).. They may talk the talk, but walking the walk (from what I've read) isn't going to well.. Maybe I'll have an auto shop lazer match my paint...

Good luck bro..

Comment

I got the 2oz jars because I have a few bigger areas that I was trying to repaint but this stuff is a pain in the ass to work with. I might just try and find used plastics that are in better shape

2002 Katana 600
                1999 Ford F150

Comment

if you want to try some '03 color i'll put it in a baggie and mail it to ya. i also have some acrylic urathane that i use for bathtub repairs that is 3 shades lighter yellow. you can have it free of charge as it's just taking up shelf space. just pm me with your mailing address if you want to color check them.
                  carpe diem

Comment

Hey I appreciate the offer but I've decided that I'm just going to paint the whole bike blue, thanks though!

2002 Katana 600
                    1999 Ford F150

Comment

Working...
                    X