X

Look at these disgusting lower fairings I'm fixing up LOL

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at these disgusting lower fairings I'm fixing up LOL

I got these real cheap on ebay... Figured they needed some TLC and I needed some practice painting/prepping. I can't tell if the bike was originally green or if it was purple, because in some spots there is purple right around the same layer as the green. Previous owner musta thought it was a good idea to use horrible red primer to cover up any imperfections...and not sand down the filler over their plastic welds.

Pics:

^^Before any stripping or priming on my part.

^^Trusty little sand blaster filled with walnut shell media.

^^Wow, didn't expect to find any paint under there...let alone SHINEY paint

^^After media blast and light 220-500grit sand and wash.

^^Two very thick coats of filler primer later...

That's all the real progress I've made so far, next step is bondo on the rougher spots, then sand down that and the filler primer, and finally paint!

^^Some of the rougher spots to fix...

^^Another rough spot on the belly

^^And just a little comparison from just being media blasted to after filler primer

I'm gonna finish up in the next day or two, hopefully I'll have it fully filled, sanded, and primered by tomorrow
    02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
    01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
    93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

How did he get plastic fairings to rust??

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter

How did he get plastic fairings to rust??

ROFL

I went ahead and mixed some bondo and started covering the areas - however I forgot to buy 80 grit paper so it'll have to wait till tomorrow to get finished.

Pics:

02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
      01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
      93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

Comment

You think the bondo will hold?
        I never thought of it, I thought the flexing would have it pop off..

Comment

used bondo on my whole fairing after some twat nicked it and fell off ..... never had a problem with it, held up a treat!
          i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Originally posted by bigbike-r
            used bondo on my whole fairing after some twat nicked it and fell off ..... never had a problem with it, held up a treat!
            Its hit and miss. I've heard of people getting away with it, but others have not. I wouldn't use it as a longterm fix. Iok for a good abs repair epoxy.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

deffo not a longterm idea but it will hold up long enough, depends how hard you ride and how you treat the bike. fiber glass resin is good for repairing small holes/cracks its just a bugger to work with

if your just testing and discovering your skills , have a go at plastic welding its not that hard and you can achieve really good results , depends what the damage is and what your repairing
              i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Yeah I'm just doing bondo cuz I had some laying around... The kind I'm using is suposed to be their most flexible stuff (used it to repair some urethane parts on my sisters car and it hasn't cracked yet...and she drives like a maniac constantly bumping into things lol). Also, the bondo was sanded down pretty thin, its only on there as needed really.

I got everything ready to go, just need to prime again and paint
                02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
                01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
                93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

Comment

After three coats of primer and a nice wetsand these lower fairings were about as good as I could get them... So I decided to start painting - here are the results after 3 coats of base, I'll be using a lacquer top coat to finish it off tomorrow!

The color is Rustoleum "Metallic" series Black Metallic...but its much closer to a dark gray metallic...very sexy though hehe
                  02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
                  01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
                  93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

Comment

Looking good so far..

Comment

How do you plastic weld?
                      Bling....

Comment

Working...
                      X