X

paint a helmet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint a helmet?

Has anyone painted a helmet? I have a Shoei rf 900 ( white) and wanted to spice it up alittle. any suggestions,tips,how-to's? at a recent show an airbrush artist quoted a minimum of $350...so I want to do it myself.

I haven't actually painted a helmet to date, but I've been on the business end of an airbrush many times over the years. The first thing you need to ask yourself is: Do you have the ability and talent with an airbrush? If so, then you need to find an appropriate paint that's compatible with the helmet material. Stay away from laquers as they can harm the helmet's structural integrity (hence the reason the manufacturers frown upon the end user painting the helmet). An aqueous enamel is probably your safest bet. Make sure to lightly scuff the helmet down with some 600 grit and after the paint is applied be sure to lay on a coat of clear to protect that new paint job. Oh, make sure to let the paint "gas out" for a few days before wearing. The last thing you want is to get lightheaded while riding. Good luck.

Comment

it is illegal to paint a helmet, sort of. it voids the DOT and SNELL approval, which makes the helmet illegal for road use. at least it is like that here in canada. and if I am not mistaken, the AMA will not allow a painted helmet to be used. decals only for sponsorships and personal designs.

but as we all know, people still do it. so if you are going to do it, do it right so it doesn't look painted. a cop can ticket you for it.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Never paint a helmet. The chemicals can make the helmet britle and very unsafe. it causes a breakdown in the fiberglass and will shatter on hard impact, seen it!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

hmmm, first I ever heard it was illegal to paint a helmet.. Need to look into that one..
          Why can't you paint a helmet?? I seriously doubt a cop will pull you over due to the fact you have a wicked paint scheme on yer helmet. Maybe if something was imparing the visor/shield area. Then yea, I could see that.. How in the hell would he know it's not a factory paint job.. I serioulsy think cops have better things to do, rather than pull over painted helmets. I know three guys w/ custom painted helmets, non of them ever got a tickets.. hmmm

I couldnt find anything on paint making a helmet weaker. But I did read something that says to use acrylic enamels, NOT lacquers; lacquers can damage the helmet shell. That makes sence to me..

If you saw a helmet being shattered from a paint job, well maybe it was done incorrectly..?? Or just plain old, or had some cracks in it already, and when the helmet was hit on that spot it shattered.. I've been around motorcycle helmets most of my life, as I used to race dirtbikes all the time. I've seen some bad crashes, too.. Never have I seen a helmet shatter. I've seen them crack, and split. Maybe an impact blast, like on a car windshield, but remained intact...

You can actually send in your helmet to Troy Lee Designs to get a custom paint job on your helmet. So I'm sure if he's painting them, he's not going to break any laws, or AMA rules. He's not going to loose a multi million dollar business over painting helmets.. No..
          I've seen TONS of his helmets at races, and at AMA events, and AMA seems to allow the use of said helmets..

Ok, did a bit or research on the AMA rules. Nothing stated in the rules about painted helmets..
          Example from the AMA rules book:
          1.25 Riders Apparel
          a. Helmet
          1. Riders must wear helmets at all times when riding on track.
          2. Helmets must be of the full face type and conform to one of the
          following recognized standards. The helmet must have a label
          affixed certifying its approval.
          USA: Snell M 2005
          UNITED NATIONS: Regulation ECE 2205 P'
          UK: BSI 6658 Type A
          JAPAN: JIS T 8133:2
          3. It is recommended that all helmets used in competition be equipped
          with a commercially manufactured emergency helmet removal
          device such as the Hats Off device. An approved list of emergency
          helmet devices is available from AMA Pro Racing.

1.28 Rider Responsibility
          IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE RIDER TO SELECT A HELMET
          AND APPAREL WHICH WILL PROVIDE APPROPRIATE
          PROTECTION.
          ALTHOUGH THE AMA APPROVES MATERIALS, THE AMA DOES
          NOT ENDORSE OR GUARANTEE SPECIFIC PRODUCTS OR
          MANUFACTURERS.
          RIDERS MUST RELY ON THEIR OWN JUDGMENT IN THE
          SELECTION OF HELMETS AND APPAREL FOR PROTECTION AND
          DURABILITY.

Comment

you said it yourself, AZCyco....laquer weakens the shell. and once the paint has cured, it is almost impossible to determine if it is laquer or enamel. this is the reason it will void the dot or snell certification. and if the certification is void, the helmet is illegal....simple as that. and ANY helmet company will void it's warranty if you modify a helmet in any way.....this inclused drilling holes for intercoms, painting...or whatever.

I didn't say a cop was going to inspect your helmet to see if it is painted or not.......but if you do a crappy job, or even a so so job (I can tell if a helmet has been painted ot not if I am a few feet from it), a cop can notice it and call you on it. I am not saying it is like this everywhere (some states have no laws at all concerning some things like this), but it is here.

But like I said...people do it anyway. and if you happen to wipe out and your helmet splits or shatters, you are on your own. those are basically the only two things that can go wrong....a ticket from a cop who can tell it has been painted if it is illegal in your area, and the chance the helmet may not perform as it was meant to because of degredation of the shell because of the paint you put on it.

I never said it was not a good idea to do it.....just stating that consequences are possible.

Comment

In Texas, possibly elsewhere, you can paint a helmet, but the minute you cover up the DOT sticker it's no longer street legal.

Long Live the D

Comment

....laquer weakens the shell...

Exactly why I put that in there. Cause it will.. I was just making a pont that it's not advisable to use that particular paint.

I wasnt trying to cause an argument, or point out wrongs, just stating some facts I dug up.. Lets all relax and share the sandbox..

-=Peace

Comment

Originally posted by AzCyco
                  hmmm, first I ever heard it was illegal to paint a helmet.. Need to look into that one..
                  Why can't you paint a helmet??
                  I think the question is, why can't anyone ELSE paint a helmet, since the manufacturers certain can!
                  93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveb
                    Originally posted by AzCyco
                    Why can't you paint a helmet??
                    I think the question is, why can't anyone ELSE paint a helmet, since the manufacturers certain can!
                    FYI....it is not a "paint", so to speak. it is more of a gel-coat. this is what is used on fiberglass boats.....which suffer the same degradation as a helmet if you use the wrong paint. manufactures don't use regular paint at all.

Comment

Many of the different color schemes that you see on helmets are decals that get applied before a final clear coat. Either Motorcyclist or Sport Rider visited the HJC factory. They showed how one of the helmets had something like 15 stickers to get the design.

Comment

I was just talking with the Ottawa Police Service and talked to the Traffic Division and they have nothing in their mandate that says it is illegal to paint a helmet.

They recommend against it since it may void warranty and may affect the integrity of the helmet, but they can't ticket you for it.

(and both the constable I talked to and her boss are avid bikers so they do know what I was referring to when talking about the helmets)
                        - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSensGo
                          I was just talking with the Ottawa Police Service and talked to the Traffic Division and they have nothing in their mandate that says it is illegal to paint a helmet.

They recommend against it since it may void warranty and may affect the integrity of the helmet, but they can't ticket you for it.

(and both the constable I talked to and her boss are avid bikers so they do know what I was referring to when talking about the helmets)
                          ask them the question a different way.......can you be ticketed for wearing a helmet that is NOT snell or dot approved? If they say no, then you should be able to get away with wearing a hockey helmet or a football helmet.

if they say yes to being ticketed for a helmet that is not approved, then technically you SHOULD be ticketed if the dot or snell becomes void from modifications.

don't get me wrong folks....I am not trying to convince anyone it is a bad idea to paint a helmet. I plan on doing mine, actually, after I buy a new one. I am just saying it is possible that a cop could be a jerk and give you a hard time.....or so I have been told. If you do paint, just make sure to keep the dot or snell sticker intact and don't paint over it.

Comment

I just looked at my helmet. Ran my finger across the graphix. I can feel where some of them are stickers, and the other spots I think are painted, as they have some fade effect on there.
                            I bet when you go to sand down a helmet its a beotch, the stickers. Wouldnt you have to use a chemical to get off all the glue? and if so, wouldnt it weaken the structure of the helmet itself? Seems like painting a helmet is a PITA. No wonder they charge sooo much to do one.
                            Just realized that I have a huge head. Tag said XXL.. Damn, I musta been dropped a lot as a kid.. Ha..

-=Peace

Comment

Now these are some helmets...

Comment

Working...
                              X