X

Replacing Handlebars

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Handlebars

How tough is it and what is the process to replace the handlebars on a 2001 Kat 750?

i'm not sure the answer to your question, but since this is a handle bar thread.....

what are the pros/cons to getting clip ons?
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
      i'm not sure the answer to your question, but since this is a handle bar thread.....

I did a writeup on the installation of clip-ons and the pros & cons of having them. I still need to transfer it over here, but here's the link to where it's at now...

BTW, I still have the clip-ons for sale.

getrdun, It's not very difficult to remove the handlebars...nor is there really a process. You just need to unbolt everything and transfer them over. The one thing to keep in mind is that there are pins ( I believe) that insert through some of the components into the stock bar. They just postion the components and keep them from shifting. I'm sure someone can jump in an elaborate, but it is something to keep in mind, as most aftermarket bars won't have those holes.

Comment

getrdun
        Dude I posted in your last thread..
        Details:
        Remove the grip
        Remove the one screw securing the handle bar to the triple tree, (two for 600cc) loosen the switch pod,
        Slide out handle bar..
        Fix or replace..

SoccerSteve.
        I just added clips ons.. all pros no cons..
        My thread here..

I used CBR 600's not vortex though..
        Not a ton of detail but it was easy-peasy

Comment

getrdun
          One thing is that even though it is just a steel tube with a groove cut in it.. I have seen them for
          $30 each on ebay. I can't imagine what a dealer wants.. Bike bandit wants $32..
          My Right one was bent..
          I bought my CBR clip-ons for $5.00 +$3.75 shipping..

Comment

thanks guys for the write ups.
            if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Doing some custom style bars would be a cool mod for somebody w/some spare time and some creativity.

Comment

One word of caution: depending on your height, torso length, arm length and riding position, you may readily find out that clip-ons are uncomfortably low for you, especially on a late model Kat 600 (the late 750 has about 1" more rise to the handlebars than the 600 model does because of difference in the triple-tree and bar-riser combo).

Personally, I wouldn't want my bars lower...

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
                  Originally posted by soccersteve

I did a writeup on the installation of clip-ons and the pros & cons of having them. I still need to transfer it over here, but here's the link to where it's at now...

BTW, I still have the clip-ons for sale.

http://www.squidbusters.com/sb/article.php?a=25 very good info is there something like this for the pre98s' like mine is a 91 thxs (6)<< 8)

getrdun, It's not very difficult to remove the handlebars...nor is there really a process. You just need to unbolt everything and transfer them over. The one thing to keep in mind is that there are pins ( I believe) that insert through some of the components into the stock bar. They just postion the components and keep them from shifting. I'm sure someone can jump in an elaborate, but it is something to keep in mind, as most aftermarket bars won't have those holes.
                  http://www.putfile.com/omegajireh AKA ONYOUR6 ......If you think education is expensive, wait till you see the price of ignorance!

Comment

Working...
                  X