X

Proper tank install?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper tank install?

Just recently picked up my 94 750 and the front of the gas tank is not secured to the frame, it just lifts up and bounces up an down if I go over big bumps (curb to the driveway for instance). Is there a rubber grommet or anything the front of the tank fits into, or is it just not fitted into the right spot?

Also, I don't have front side fairings on the bike yet, could this be causing the problem?

A picture or illustration of the proper fit would be a great help, thx!
    02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
    01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
    93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

Hi Benny. There should be a thick piece of rubber that covers the little flange that the tank seats against. If your bike doesn't have one, try to find a thick piece of rubber that you can cut and glue to the flange yourself.

Your fairings being removed shouldn't have any effect on how snug your tank is.
    1994 Naked Katana 600
    Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Ok cool, so the flange on the tank is just sort of wedged in there then? I'm taking the tank off soon to replace the plugs, guess I'll try to find some rubber or something too, heh.
      02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
      01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
      93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty much wedged in there between the flange and the bolts that go near your jangly parts. It's part #11 over here and is $4.65 at RonAyers. You may find it cheaper at BikeBandit if you want to buy it.

Maybe a cut piece of a car's radiator hose will do the trick if you're being frugal.

After doing some carb work the other day I wanted to take my bike for a short spin to see how I did. It was dark when I started putting the bike back together. When I got back from my ride I saw the tank's bolts sitting on my railing and realized I forgot to put them back on.
        1994 Naked Katana 600
        Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the schematic too! I have plenty of radiator hose and even high quality silicone hose laying around, I'll give it a shot tomorrow before I go riding
          02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
          01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
          93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

Comment

LOL turns out that rubber piece was there all along!!! However...it was sitting on top of the engine, instead of being over that tab :P The guy who had this bike before me didn't' do any maintenance... Also while I was in there, I found out that the reason it wasn't running wortha damn in ON mode on the petcock was because the vacuum hose had been yanked off

Also seafoam'd the bish, took it for 100 mile ride, and not it runs better than ever
            02 YZF-R1 - POWER!!!!
            01 GSX-R 600 - SOLD!!
            93 GSX 750f - SOLD!!

Comment

Maybe silicone that rubber deal in there .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X