X

Stripping the grab handle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping the grab handle

Well spring is on the distant horizon and it's bearable to work in the garage on the bike with out fear of frost bite. So it's time to get to work.

I know back 2, maybe 3 crashes of KP there was a thread on stripping the grab bar and polishing it up. Along with some recomendations on how to keep it shiney.

So can anyone point me in the right direction with the right materials to make this as painless as possible.

High strength paint stripper/or sand blasting followed by sanding, then using mothers polish sound right?
    Kyle

Aircraft Stripper from Autozone will have it cleaned off in about 30 seconds...literally.

As far as polishing, I just left mine as is and kept it clean with Mother's Chrome Polish. I thought it looked great like that, but some may want to be up to a chrome like finish.

Comment

Ive thought about doing this as well..to add alittle something to the appearance..but not sure how it would look against my painted solo cowl though.. might look too puzzle like..hhmmm, let us know how u make out!

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to hit the stores this weekend to see if I can find some.
        Kyle

Comment

HS had his chromed on the pre98, he would be the one that might know best.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

have it chromed, the grab bar was a PITA to get everything smooth enough to polish. it's not as smooth as it looks under the paint.

Comment

Yes, chroming would be much easier than polishing it. Trust me, I have already had mine stripped.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Here's a different approach...What about stripping it then having it powder coated. Would you still neet to sand it down? If you do powdercoat it do you need to strip it?
                Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I'm not sure why you would powder coat it, but to answer your question...no, I don't believe you would need to sand it after stripping.

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of the handle being a bit of bling, so chroming or polishing is what I'd be looking at. Check out Spedee's bike to see what I mean.
                    Kyle

Comment

Yeah, Spedee's is a good example of chroming. Here's on with the paint just stripped and then kept up with Mother's Chrome polish. It's a big pic so you can zoom in and see...

Comment

that bike was the hotness. Im still pissed that you sold it
                        Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

hey ahf .. the way your rims are on that bike. thats exactly what i was thinking about doing to mine. how hard was it? what did you use to paint the spokes?
                          -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
                            that bike was the hotness. Im still pissed that you sold it
                            You're always mad at me for something.

taz, the wheels were black to start with. For the lips, I just carefully used Aircraft Stripper and masking tape. Took about 3 hours total, and I just followed up with Mother's Chrome Polish. I'd recommend clear coating to anyone that does this though, because if you don't keep up on the polishing, it'll get pits in it.

**Edit** We did paint the spokes on FaithGrrl's Ninja though. For that we just used any old glossy black paint. It wasn't difficult at all and turn out great.

Comment

thanks. the issue is that my wheels are not painted. they are just grey color. so, i'll probably have to sand mine to get the polished finished, correct?
                              -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Working...
                              X