Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Im so confused... how do i get the front fender off?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im so confused... how do i get the front fender off?

Please tell me that i can get my front fender off my shock assemblies without removing my front tire... i am changing my color this weekend, but kinda can't get it off... i see 8 bolts: 4 for the front fender bracket and 4 from the bracket to the fender... it looks like it has to go out the bottom of the forks. man i do NOT want to take the front tire off because i don't have a front stand. i know i could take it off but DO NOT want to have any chance of my bike tumbling while reassembly.

what i am asking is: Do you guys have any shortcuts for removal of the front fender? and if i have to take of the front tire, What should i use to hold the front forks up while it is on the center stand?

Thanks guys and i will be painting my perfectly great factory paint just to be different and custom...LOL! i will post new pretty pics of my disassembled 00 600 Kat to give you an idea of what she looks like under her skin. (this would have been handy when i was going into regular maintance...LOL)

Thanks again, Troy
    Without Fuel, Fire, and Compression- Air just seems useless!

Those are the right screws and if you had a long enough boxed in wrench you can do it that way. I think it is a 10mm nut under there.

Now you can use jackstands under your forks to hold the bike while in place on the center stand. Just becareful and don't get in a hurry and you will be just fine.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

not 10mm, slightly larger

Comment

The only way I could get mine off was taking off the front wheel (which isn't that big a deal).
        There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Comment

I thought it was 8mm. It has been a while, but unless you have VERY SMALL hands, yeah, the front wheel has to come off, which is actually pretty easy.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

why cant you take off the wheel and put the axle back in and set it on jack stand? while its on the centerstand

Comment

could he not take off the bracket that holds the fender and then remove the fender from the bracket, paint it and reverse for installation. I have never tried it that way, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

It scratches the hell out of the fender if you don't take the wheel off --- At least with my 98 --

The nuts are 8mm on mine also-- I'm working on epoxying them in place -- maybe JB weld so they'll be much easier to remove-- no need for all that cussin that way--
                At last I am a squid--

Comment

The fender won't come off without taking off the wheel (at least on a pre) . I just tried yesterday . It'll only come up MAYBE an inch , which ain't enough room to get between the tire and fender to get the 8mm nuts off the bottom . Taking off the wheel don't take long , but could prove troublesome without a centerstand or some way of supporting the bike .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    The fender won't come off without taking off the wheel (at least on a pre) . I just tried yesterday . It'll only come up MAYBE an inch , which ain't enough room to get between the tire and fender to get the 8mm nuts off the bottom . Taking off the wheel don't take long , but could prove troublesome without a centerstand or some way of supporting the bike .
                    Stock tires sizes, or did you move up to 70 profile tires? With the stock size tires on a pre, it's possible to remove the fender without removing the wheel... however with the slightly taller 70 series tire... forget about it!
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah , I got a 120/70 on there now . But damn , somebody must have hands more girly than MINE to get up under that tire ....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        Yeah , I got a 120/70 on there now . But damn , somebody must have hands more girly than MINE to get up under that tire ....
                        With the stock height tires on there, I can just about wedge my arm between the tire and the fender to get it off... forget about it now. We had the new tires mounted this season while the plastic was off getting painted... and I couldn't do it... we had to pull the front wheel.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Do yourself a favor and either epoxy the nuts to the fender or make a "nut plate". A plate that is tapped to match the four screws. I used plastic (home depot lexan will work). Now all you need to do is hold the plate while you start the screws. Once you get two started the rest should line up.

Comment

Working...
                          X