X

Paint information you should know...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint information you should know...

FYI.......for all those who plan on painting your bike yourself, but have no compressor or spray gun and have to do it with a rattlecan, here is something you should know, if you don't already.

You are not limited to the colors vendors like Dupli-color or others may have for a choice. If you chose basecoat/clearcoat, you can purchase the EXACT same paints and clears as professional body shops use, and be able to get it in a spray can. Many autobody supply stores who are set up to mix paint can supply it to you in a spray can. The only difference between what you get in a spray can compared to if you bought it by the pint, quart or gallon is that it is already mixed with reducer and is ready to spray.

Although, there is a drawback. It will cost you more in the long run for the paint. Obviously this is offset by not having to buy equipment.

One advantage to this is that if you only need to paint one piece, you can do it with top quality paint. Another thing you should be aware of is that you can take a part of your bike in to an "up to date" supplier, and they can scan your part to get an exact match.

Maybe you knew this already....maybe not. I am just letting you know that you are not limited to the colors you see on the shelf. Every color available in a paint chip book is available in a rattlecan. Or most anyway.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

I didn't know that. Thanks. I am thinking of painting the lower fairing.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

Damnit...now you got me thinking again. Just when I had decided no more painting for me. After the last one I thought I'd rather pay someone and not have the hassle but now??? hes thinking he thinking...

Comment

Or you could try something like this. Not sure how well it would work, but it's always an option. You'd just need a way to compress the air. A foot pump could do that.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

these work pretty good too.

Comment

That's nice but you have to buy replacement spray canisters. How much do those cost? I couldn't find a price.
            -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I have seen those gizmos work.....and I can honestly say I would not trust them enough to do a paintjob on a bike. if the pressure is even just a little too low, it will "spit" the paint out.

use something like that if you like, but I will stick with a high pressure spray can from the paint supplier.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I'm going to have to look into this with the supplier I found. My compressor is just strong enough to run a detail sprayer from Craftsman or a cheap quart sprayer from Wal-mart. I'd rather rattle can if I can.
                -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

God advice
                  "If you believe everything you read - better not read."

Comment

Working...
                  X