X

Chrome grab bar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome grab bar

I want to find a chrome grab bar for my '99 Kat 600. Anyone know where I can find one? thanks
    De Oppresso Libre

Its on the back of your bike, at the end of the seat. A chromer can make it look just the way you want!!!!

I dont think you can just buy a chromed grab bar........
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
      Its on the back of your bike, at the end of the seat. A chromer can make it look just the way you want!!!!

I dont think you can just buy a chromed grab bar........
      +1

Unless you find one for sale on E-bay, you'll have to remove yours, strip it, and take it to a chromer.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Or just strip the paint off and polish that solid aluminum part.
        Bike is sold

Comment

Polished
          Bike is sold

Comment

Yup, aluminum polishes up nice!
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

chrome grab bar thanks

Thanks for the info! Think I'll start stripping and polishing.
              De Oppresso Libre

Comment

Sure, aluminum is a soft metal, and it does polish up nicely and easy, but it also corrodes and scratches easily, for the same reason. Chrome plating is maintenance free (and everyone knows of my quest for the perfect maintenance-free motorcycle.)
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Scratches easy but Very corrosion resistant.
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
                    Sure, aluminum is a soft metal, and it does polish up nicely and easy, but it also corrodes and scratches easily, for the same reason. Chrome plating is maintenance free (and everyone knows of my quest for the perfect maintenance-free motorcycle.)
                    actually, it doesn't really corrode. corrosion is when the metal is attacked by something like rust. aluminum oxidizes. it "grows" this on itself. Aluminum is more "alive" than other metals. iron will be eaten away by corrosion....but alumuinum will not be eaten away (won't fall apart from rust), but it will grow crap all over it if it is exposed to the elements. Providing it hasn't been too long exposed, it will clean right up with a good polishing....where other metals (except high grade stainless) will just eat away.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojoe is correct. My polished rims have required very little maint.
                      Best of all when new tires are mounted I can polish out the marks from the tire machine. You can't do that with chrome.

Originally posted by Mojoe
                      Originally posted by StevieB
                      actually, it doesn't really corrode. corrosion is when the metal is attacked by something like rust. aluminum oxidizes. it "grows" this on itself. Aluminum is more "alive" than other metals. iron will be eaten away by corrosion....but alumuinum will not be eaten away (won't fall apart from rust), but it will grow crap all over it if it is exposed to the elements. Providing it hasn't been too long exposed, it will clean right up with a good polishing....where other metals (except high grade stainless) will just eat away.
                      Bike is sold

Comment

Okay, if we are gonna get technical here...

Rust is iron oxide. Oxygen reacts with the iron to produce what we think of as rust.

Alum. oxiidation is alum. oxide. Oxygen reacts with alum. to produce the same basic thing, just with alum. molicules instead of iron. Alum. oxide is such that it produces a hard coating that retards further oxidation, but does not stop it. Ever see an alum. tailshaft on an outboard motor that got left, for a very long time, in the down position, in salt water? Ugly. Very ugly.

Almost all metals, heck, almost all elements, oxidize. Gold is the only exception I can think of, but there are probably others.

Oxidation can be reversed, either electrically or chemically, but neither process re-attaches the now un-oxidized metal back to it's substrate with any reliable quality.

Neil Young was right about one thing (and I am no NY fan...)...

Rust never sleeps.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Still with all that..... it is still VERY corrosion resistant.

Comment

Polish it, then take it to the paint shop and have it clear coated.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                            X