X

buffing tank scratches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buffing tank scratches

I did a search but didnt see anything. the guy i bought my bike from wasnt very careful with his tank bag and I have several scratches on the clearcoat on my tank, is there a way to buff these out or am I stuck with them unless I repaint the tank. thanks

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Buffing or polishing compound should help with that. You can also try a commercial scratch remover. Maguire's has a good one.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

alot of times, if you know what you are doing you could wet sand the tank with 2000 or even 3000 grit sandpaper and then polish it back out. other wise just check into different polish compound. some cut deeper than other.

Comment

Originally posted by fordfurious
        alot of times, if you know what you are doing you could wet sand the tank with 2000 or even 3000 grit sandpaper and then polish it back out. other wise just check into different polish compound. some cut deeper than other.
        Just an additional 2 cents here...if you do the wet sanding route be sure to wet sand in a circular motion, that way if you get a few microscratches from wet sanding they won't be noticeable within the buffer swirlmarks. The buffer goes in circles, so should the sandpaper. A tip I learned from a long time painter with many award winning paint jobs.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy
          Originally posted by fordfurious
          Just an additional 2 cents here...if you do the wet sanding route be sure to wet sand in a circular motion, that way if you get a few microscratches from wet sanding they won't be noticeable within the buffer swirlmarks. The buffer goes in circles, so should the sandpaper. A tip I learned from a long time painter with many award winning paint jobs.
          also, keep an eye on what you are doing. the sandpaper should always have a whitish grayish residue on it. if it changes color, it means you have gone through the clear and are hitting the basecoat. That is a no no. If you are not careful, you can end up needing a paintjob......or at very minimum, a fresh coat of clear.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

thanks for all the input, i picked up some NuFinish scratch remover today, gonna try it first. Having never sanded metal i think i would really screw the tank up, think i would live with the scratches before I personally tried to wet sand the tank. I would hate to go from a few minor scratches to needing a new paint job.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

i've buffed out some pretty major scratches.

first use polishing compound to see if that will get it out. Use it with a buffer - you can do it by hand but i can pretty much guarantee that it will make your arm feel like its gonna fall off.

If that doesnt get desired results then go to a rubbing compound. This is pretty abrasive stuff and always be sure to wet it - never use it with just the paste.

Then go back to the polishing compound once your scratch is gone. This will give it the sheer shine

Then go to a good wax to finish it off - I tend to prefer paste wax buffed on - it gives it an excellent shine.
              97 Katana 600
              [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Working...
              X